Don't be 404, know the tech slang

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Newswire, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Newswire

Newswire Geek Trainee

Read More...

2. zeus

zeus out of date

"Technology language during day to day life" Its new to me!

The only geek speak I use is lol. But my girlfriend is called lol so.....

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it's news to me too, but, i don't get out much :violin:

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, seriously though, that stuff drives me crazy.

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

What drives me crazy is that people constantly use "ect" when they mean to say "etc". I see this misspelling all the time, and it seems to somehow be connected to the whole IM chat / text messaging revolution ... i don't see where it else it might've originated from.
    (Or is there some specific reason for the misspelling?? Maybe I'm missing something?)

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i think most people don't realize that etcetera is spelled with the t after the e.

7. zeus

zeus out of date

people saying walla instead of voila gets to me. And expresso instead of espresso. In fact id better stop cos everyone and everything irritates me!

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Yeah I agree, but how do they not realize this? That's what drives me nuts lol. :mad: If you simply say the word "etcetera" out loud (even in your head)...

I could continue ranting about that, but the bottom line is, it's only THREE letters!! lol :chk: Given that, and the fact that the misspelling is consistent, I think this misspelling is not just random; I think it's a trend. And there must have been something that started the trend.

That's why I'm seriously thinking the only explanation is that someone started saying "ect" online in a place with a wide audience, and then everyone started copying it, thinking it's the right way, and then it spread irreversibly. I used to see people say "ect" all the time in chat when I used to play EverQuest, but I almost never saw the correct "etc".... However, if this was a random misspelling, shouldn't we see about 50/50 of the correct/incorrect cases? But that's not the case; the incorrect "ect" seems to appear much, much more often among "ordinary" people (i.e. not counting journalists, authors, etc. ... people who write for a living or something). So it's not random, I think. There's some kind of mis-education out there about that damn word.

Haha, I get that feeling sometimes, zeus. :D

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, the same can be said for the phrase "for all intensive purposes" ...... lol, just look at that... it should be, for all intent in purpose, or something to that effect.

10. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Lol. Really? That exists? I haven't heard that "mis-usage" before, actually. That sounds funny. My high school chem teacher used to say that phrase ALL the time -- except she said what I believe is the correct expression -- she said, "for all intents *and* purposes". For example: "Although technically it is .... , for all intents and purposes it is ...." I'm sure you get what I mean. That sounds sensible, not sure how people came up with "intensive" haha...

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol, yeah, it makes me laugh to.

12. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

What really gets to me about a specific friend is that he uses "tbh" after just about every sentence, even when it doesn't make sense!

"Yeah, i've just been to the shop to be honest."

WHAT'S THE POINT?!