Doom3 is DonE!!!!

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by pain, Jul 14, 2004.

1. pain

pain Geek Trainee

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hmmm, cool! when can we see it in the shops?

3. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

August 3, 2004

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

lol I've seen 3 different dates

August 3rd, August 8th and August 13th

Hey at least they're only ten days apart :p

Not sure if I should pre-order it...

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

One game I'll actually spend some cash on someday (when I have some cash ;)). Since it supports Linux, and I've been playing Doom since I was in Jr. High, this one is a must-have. :D

Anyone else used to own the registered version of Doom on 3.5" floppy? :p

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I figure I'll have to check it out. I've never played Doom, but it looks like it might be something decent. Nothing like fighting demons on Mars...can't be too bad. (I hope)

7. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

I played a little bit of Doom but only like 2 levels...Im amped for D3, my rig is complete and ready to take D3 head on

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Doom is a brilliant game, i'm almost 18 (26 days), luckily i am old enough to have witnessed the amazing development of the gaming industry and computer technology..

i remember waiting eagerly as my dad brought back some new games, all on floppy, one of which was the original Doom, i believe i still have it boxed in the loft..

Doom 3 will be brilliant, i've already played the beta which was good enough, and that ran at around 15- 20fps with full graphics no a 9200SE 128mb!

512mb pc2700 (ebuyer shite ram)
    1.8ghz 266fsb 2200+

can't wait to play with my new system :D

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yep I played the original Doom as well as Ultimate Doom.

That game was THE game to play when it came out.

Of course it could be played on any video card (not even sure if cards had video ram, and if so, probably less than 1mb), but you needed a $500 cad cpu to play it (486 DX/33)

You could forget about playing this game on any kind of SX cpus and you needed at least 4mb of RAM (8 mb was better, which cost even much than the cpu). Those were 30-pin SIMMs, 1mb per SIMMs.

I remember the computer I had at that time:

CPU: 486 DX/33
    RAM: 8x1mb (not sure about the speed)
    VIDEO: Cirrus Logic 5434
    Board: Probably an intel board (nothing was integrated, no ide controllers, no floppy controllers, if it was high end you had one pci slot on it)
    The L2 cache was actually on the board itself, not in the cpu.
    HDD: 540mb Western Digital :good:
    Monitor: Nec Multisync 2A (GREAT monitor, really) This thing still works after 20 years !

Oh and here's the good part : these cpus didn't need any kind of cooling at all. Just put them in the socket and you're good to go.

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

yeh, i had a similar system a 486/33 with 6mb ram, video i cant remember but it must have been pretty sh!t.

hard drive was like 300 odd mb.

bring back windows 3.1! i remember being given a new computer with windows 95 on, and i couldn't get over the fact that the "File Manager" had been replaced with My Computer.. File Manager was just brilliant!

bring back File Manager! lol

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Not to be a zealot, but many Linux distros use a clone of the old Win 3.1/95 file manager. It had a *much* more powerful interface than Windows Explorer, with wildcard selection options built right into the shell. Also, there's a clone of the old Norton Commander ASCII windowing interface called Midnight Commander. I used that + DOS a long time after Windows 95 came out, since 95 hogged so much resources and ran games so crappy! :p

12. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

One of my local stores is supposed to have Doom 3 on august 5th.

You can be sure I'll be at the door when it opens....don't be in my way !!!!!!