Downloading Vista RC2

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by LoneStar, Oct 7, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

I'm gonna dowload and try out the new RC2 version of vista. Should I use the 32-bit or the 64-bit version? I don't quite understand the difference yet.

2. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Also, i have a legal activation key for RC1, will that work with an RC2 release?

3. zeus

zeus out of date

If you have a 64bit system get the 64bit version of Vista, otherwise get the 32bit.

I doubt the key for RC1 will work in RC2 but its worth a try.
    Didnt Microsoft email you a key with the link to the download? Ive had a different key sent for each version of vista.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

My activation key for the beta stages was fine with the RC1 release, M$ even told me so in an e-mail and reminded me of my product key. I think only people who signed up for the beta stages were allowed product keys as I don't think they're available anymore. Try your product key and see if it works.

5. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Has anyone else tried RC2? I cant seem to get it to install. Its fine until the installation reboots my computer, then it hangs and freezes.

6. techturtle

techturtle Geek Trainee

I have RC2 installed. I had no problems with it.

A few questions to try out:
    Are you over clocking anything?
    Did you try removing the DVD before the first reboot, then awaiting a prompt to reinsert it?
    Do you have the latest firmware for your bios?
    Are you trying to install the 64bit version on a 32bit machine?

There are a few brainstormed ideas, it's the best I can do given my install of it was completely painless.

You could even try just the RC1 version of it. I've heard a few complaints of RC2 being a bit of a pain in the butt for people who had no problems with RC1.