Driver missing KU 9978

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by lamberts, Apr 8, 2005.

1. lamberts

lamberts Geek Trainee

:) HI there
    I'm a newby so please hang in there with me.
    I just had my PC rebooted and XP sp2 installed after a bad crash.
    After all was said and done I'm missing the driver for my internet keyboard Compaq KU-9978 in the system and I can't get it anywhere.
    Not even Compaq can help.
    Is there anyone out there that can give me a link for a free download or do I need to buy a new keyboard.?
    thanks so much guys
    lamberts

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Keyboards are a standard component that require no drivers in and of themselves. So, you should be able to use your keyboard just fine, minus the special feature buttons. For those you will indeed need some special device drivers. Unfortunately, the latest version of Windows that Compaq released drivers for was Windows ME. Since ME is a DOS-based OS and XP is NT-based, the drivers are not compatible, so I would not recommend trying the ME driver on your XP box.

If it was me in your shoes, I'd just use the keyboard without the special funciton keys. If you really want that functionality though, you could always buy an equivilent Logitech keyboard that would be fully supported in your OS.

-AT

3. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

4. Anti-Trend

5. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Hi AT,

I don't know whether the site is dubious or not...or whether some industrious person in a third-world country designed a component that works out of sheer necessity as is often the case with poorer nations ( and necessity is the mother of invention )...in which case it would not be dubious if it were a new product...

lamberts asked for a solution to his problem and after looking around for him this was the only albeit questionable solution that was out there...

obviously, as you have stated yourself, there couldn't possibly be piracy involved, if the driver has never been made how could he pirate it?...and I don't automatically assume that it's a rip off because we really don't know that...you would be surprised what some people can do...in Cuba for instance they are still driving cars from the 1960's that are running on parts you wouldn't dream of putting into your own car...

for all we know this guy is a computer whiz kid...it costs nothing to send him an e-mail and a couple of questions to find out...and if it doesn't pan out then it's back to square one.

lamberts...if he asks you for money first just tell him you're not willing to pay for something until you know it works...then if it is legit and he has manufactured a working driver then get him to sign a exclusive contract for the international market.

Maybe AT's right and it's just a scam...if it is it's a pretty pi@@ poor one cause the guy is next to impossible to find...so he's definitely not rakin' in the dough on this scam...which leads me to assume that it's not a scam because scams don't hide on pages that have only 4 listed...and this guy was 2 of them...this guy was 2 and 3 of 4. And the page itself looks more like a e-mail communication between parties and nothing like a scam sheet.

So...if it's not piracy...and it's not a scam...then he either has a driver or he knows where you can get one.

Eg :)

6. ttrack1

ttrack1 Geek Trainee

Here it is driver for compaq ku-9978 direct from compaq download
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...os=228&product=93330&cc=us&softwareitem=33780
    pedro (sao carlos/sp-brasil)

7. Anti-Trend

Holy schnikies, my aplogies. There it is! Compaq's own site said they only supported ME, but that does seems to be the right one. Glad you found it. :good:

-AT