DSL vs. Cable broadband?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Feb 26, 2009.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hello, is it true that DSL typically has less ping than cable?

Right now I have Cox Cable at my house, and it absolutely SUCKS. I hate it. I can never play BF1942 without getting lag. I do download tests on speedtest.net, and I get results like 164ms ping and like 2-3 Mbps ... pretty crappy right? I mean other times it measures better, like 5-6Mbps and lower ping, but the bottom line is it's unreliable. I also hate the company itself, its tech support system and customer service. And of course, as is typical in USA, I only have one cable ISP available in my area...

So I'm thinking of going for DSL instead. Might I end up being much happier if I do?

Thanks

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

The speed of DSL depends on the distance between your phone line and the nearest DSL switch in your area. If you're too far away, the speed could drop dramatically.

However the speed of Cable depends on the amount of people that are using a Cable internet connection in your area at the time when you're online.

I personally prefer Cable, because it has a better reliability than DSL. But Cable is much more expensive than DSL.

I would suggest to ask your ISP about the maximum speed that your subscription has to offer. To play online without lag, I'd suggest a speed of approximately 15-20 Mbps (1.8 - 2.0 MB/s).

Another thing to mention is the upload speed. You should have an upload speed of approximately 800 kbps - 1 mbps (100 - 130 KB/s) for online gaming. Cable offers a great upload speed, while DSL has very low upload speeds. With very much luck you might reach 800 kbps (100 KB/s). So Cable is the best internet connection for gaming. I guess that you need to take a subscription for a faster connection at your ISP, as the speed of Cable Internet rarely drops, unless others are online in your area with Cable at the same time.

But I'm certain that there is more than one Cable ISP in the US. Here's a list.

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

change your isp. thats your problem.
    dsl is good like Rhostenbach said if your close to the exchange.
    I use adsl2, and live 900m away from the exchange and currently have a 20mb connection that runs at about 18mb which is excellent and ping rates of 19ms online gaming.
    But befor that i had the same problem you have, i was with a crap company limiting my bandwidth and capping my internet and because their network is over crowded I was experiencing high pings and rubbish download speeds.
    But since you claim there's only one cable isp in your area, do some research into how far you live away from the adsl exchange, if you live fairly close within about 1 mile radius i would consider adsl. but also research adsl isp's which are the best by lookin at online reviews and also check with the adsl isp companys what speeds are available in your area.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Really depends more on the ISP than the technology. I have both cable and DSL connections; here's my average ping times to root DNS from both:

Cable: 9.10 ms
    ADSL: 8.99 ms

ADSL is slightly lower, but not enough to notice in online gameplay. If your ISP has oversold its lines, they could be oversaturated and cause huge spikes in latency when the connection is busy. You could have better luck with ADSL, since it's a star topology and not a buss like cable, but it's not guaranteed and your download/upload speeds will almost certainly be slower.