Dual Channel question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by harrack52, Jun 22, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I plan on buying a Soltek 75FRN2-L, probably in a month. Is it really worth it to have Dual channel over Single Channel ?

Right now I have a single DIMM of 256mb. If I wanna use Dual Channel, I'm gonna have to buy two sticks of 256mb, since I'll wanna have two identical sticks of memory, which would cost me $100 cad (Kingston, Samsung is a little cheaper, but not much).

Is it worth the $100 ? ($75 us)
    My guess is no, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

well right now you have 256 which is quite alot really, I think if you find it on special offer buy it, more ram should be good for the system.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well since I'm selling my board/cpu to my father, I'll sell him the memory too because he doesnT' have any.

I think I'll buy 2x256 of Twinmos w/ Winbond CH-5 chips which comes to $108 usd.
    I've read lots of good things about that memory.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The 2nd memory channel is more for when the optional graphics are used. The extra channel does help some, but not to the extent as with the Springdale and Canterwood chipsets for the Pentium 4. But that's a bit different architecture, so we're not exactly comparing apples to apples---you get the idea tho.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yep I do.

If quality mobos for the pentium weren't so expensive I would have gone the Intel way this time with a nice P4 2.4C.

but $250-$300 cad is just too much for me only for a mobo.

DC doesn't help that much, but I have the possibility to have it without too much extra cost. (2x256 usually being more expensive than 1x512, but not by much).