DVD Burning advice needed

Discussion in 'General Software' started by WWR, Oct 25, 2007.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I'm wanting to burn a bunch of video files on my computer to DVDs and I need to know what software/codecs I'll need. I've got the latest version of DivX (6.7 I believe) with the codecs so I hope I'm sorted in that way. I have no budget, as in I want programs that are free because I have no money at the min. :p

I have 26 video files in one folder, all of them less than 200mb and 13 video files in another folder all of which are less than 50mb. The <50mb files are all Windows Media Audio/Video files, as for the other ones, it just says they are 'Video Clips' so I assume they're AVI files. I'm hoping to get the 26 video files onto one, possibly two DVDs and I'd also want one DVD for the 13 of the other kind of files.

If possible, I'd like to be able to create my own DVD menus, although this isn't absolutely essential.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

If you can get hold of a copy of nero (trial or whatever) it comes with all the utilities you need under one roof, a simple case of going through the wizards.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

No budget is no problem but you must realise that the free programs do not offer as much functionality as the payware counterparts.

I tried this little program here, successfully. It is not the Rolls Royce of programs but it is free and easy to use.
    Otherwise, check my signature for a link to a very good site which has loads of information, tools and guides for both free and non-free programs.

Tips:
    Loads of RAM, fast CPU (preferably dual-core), well cooled PC and a lot of patience. Video encoding is one of the most laborious tasks out there.

Good luck!

4. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Can't you find out whether they're avi files or not by looking at the extensions? If you don't have extensions enabled, enable them! I always keep the option enabled that shows extension for everything.

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

The icon says AVI so I'd say they were AVI. Thanks to all who've replied so far, but Nero doesn't recognise .wmv or .avi as valid files to burn to DVD, nor does it provide me with any conversion application. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I've tried DVDFlick and it's worked wonders, the only problem is with the .avi files, they're so big I can only fit three onto one DVD, when I have 26 of those files it seems a waste of DVDs to be perfectly honest, is there any way to scale down the size of the files?

6. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

It does for me, you have to make sure you are using the right application from nero - ie. not nero burning rom - i think it's called nero recode or nero vision

7. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Yes you can but this will mean re-encoding which means losing quality....
    You can re-encode using a number of programs. One which fairly easy to use is VirtualDub.

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Are the avi files compressed? There are different compression methods (i.e. using different codecs). DivX is pretty good, I think ... but I think you can get get even better compression (while retaining quality) with some non-free codecs. I really don't know how to check what your compression is in VirtualDub. Only way I know of how to check is using MatLab. lol But I'm absolutely sure there are other ways.

9. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Only problem is as I said in my first post, I have no money. I wish I could afford the paid stuff for better quality but my circumstances deny me that luxury. I'm not sure if they're compressed or not but I shall find out.