DVD/CD writer not working

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by woodmaster, Dec 29, 2006.

1. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

As stated nothing from it at all, device manager says its working properly yet it wont play anything and I cant burn to it in media player and I cant find the disc with any driver for it but I would of thought it would plug and play and to make matters worse I dont know what make it is, any suggestions:( Oh and its just been fitted to my media pc befor that it was sitting idle for a few months

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

i've had this problem before and its not pleasant:(

first, what's the o/s of your pc? if it's xp, then i would uninstall sp2 and see if it works, (thats wat happened to me) then reinstall it.

but if u got mce, then i dont know:x:

3. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

The OS is xp sp2 and it worked on this setup before.

4. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

hav u tried system restore to a time wen it worked?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try using the drive on another system and also try another drive on your system, and post the results here

6. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

Thanx for you're help guys I'm gonna try the drive in my other pc tomorrow and see what happens at least that way I can use the web to find a driver and hopefully save it to a disc as the media pc is'nt connected to the internet yet Im waiting to get some wireless stuff when her indoors lets me(she not understand):chk:

7. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

Ok, I put the drive in the other pc and the problems the same and also the tray was catching on some other part of the front face of the drive so I think I might bin it as I've found a samsung dvd+/- R/RW/CDR/CDRW & DL for £20 online at scan.com so think I'll just get that one.