Easily rip movies with AutoBrake.sh

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

When my wife needed to ask me for help every time she wanted to rip a DVD to our fileserver, I decided to write a script that would make the process easy for her, yet still result in a high-quality end product. I figured it might be useful to others as well, so decided to make the script public, publishing it under the GPL. The result is AutoBrake.sh, a [relatively] simple BASH script that rips DVDs to H.264/Ogg/Mkv.

Please give it a try and let me know if you find it useful. Also, I haven't coded in years, so if you can contribute improvements you're welcome to do so!

-AT

2. tontan

tontan Guest

[ot]I'm fun also of downloading DVD.Ok I'll try that.Thank you for sharing that.:)

* Links Removed *[/ot]

3. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    You're welcome. Too bad I had to ban you for being a spammer though, huh? No hard feelings I hope. ;)

Hardware Forums Rules And Privacy Policy[/ot]

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot]hehe.... kids! pfffffffff

He's quick with the gun...... :chk:
    [/ot]

5. Anti-Trend

There's a new version of HandBrake that adds a lot of fixes and improvements: HandBrake

And of course, a new release of AutoBrake.sh to go with it: about [AutoBrake.sh Wiki]

Enjoy! If you find problems, please report them here.

6. Anti-Trend

Autobrake [strike]0.8.30[/strike] 0.8.32 just released! This version adds 'ionice' support, which should leave your system much more responsive during high-IO operations. This is especially handy if you, like me, tend to rip multiple movies simultaneously. :)

Get the latest AutoBrake.sh here: about [AutoBrake.sh Wiki]

Report any bugs over here.

7. Anti-Trend

Version bump to [strike]0.8.33[/strike] 0.8.34*, which is a minor change in order to work with the latest version of mkvtoolnix.

* Minor change to fix a few typos I introduced in 0.8.33

8. Anti-Trend

AutoBrake.sh 0.8.35 released in order to fix compatibility with the latest mkvtoolnix package.

Get the latest AutoBrake.sh here: AutoBrake.sh Wiki

Report any bugs over here

9. Anti-Trend

AutoBrake.sh updated to 0.8.41. The current version has several small improvements and a few new features.

Get the latest AutoBrake.sh here: http://autobrake.info/

Report any bugs over here.

10. Anti-Trend

Bump to 0.8.42. This release fixes a bug with the audio track sometimes not being correctly dumped by mplayer.

Get the latest AutoBrake.sh here: http://autobrake.info/

Report any bugs over here

11. Anti-Trend

Bump to 0.8.43 to add a better ionice policy by default. In other words, autobrake uses less disk IO so you won't even notice it's running. :)

Get it here: about [AutoBrake.sh Wiki]
    Bug reports go here: My View - Mantis

12. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hey AT

Gave the new version a whirl yesterday. It took my Pemtium M around 9 hours to give me a prefrect copy (no issues with delay this time...) of the Usual Suspect. From the hip (I will probably check later), is it possible to set the ratio to 16:9 therough the script?

Thanks again for a fine release! :cool:

13. Anti-Trend

Are you talking about a DVD with both 4:3 and 16:9 versions of the movie?

14. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

No, I was referring to forcing the aspect ratio on the final "product".
    But after writing (and having a look at MMG), I realised I could probably (not sure how yet) set the desired ratio in the script by adding an option of some sort, no?

15. Anti-Trend

Well, if the movie is 4:3 and you want widescreen, there's no good way to do it. You'd either be stretching the image (people would look like Mr. Lemonhead), or cropping out the upper and lower 3rd of the image. So the answer there is to simply get the correct aspect ratio version of the film, and rip that instead. :D

If you mean just forcing the aspect ratio on a misbehaving video so it displays properly, that is possible with mkvmerge. You would simply copy and paste the mkvmerge line echoe'd in the final step of autobrake, appending the option:
    Code:
    --aspect-ratio 1:16/9