Error: System Fan Failed... :(

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Tunnie999, May 30, 2007.

1. Tunnie999

Tunnie999 Geek Trainee

Hey guys.

I recently went into the bios of my computer, to see if USB was diabled, as im having problems. And while in there i saw that the CPU Fan Warning system was disabled... So i enabled it and then restarte the computer, and now as soon as it starts up, It says

Error: System Fan Failed. Please get this serviced imidiatly.

System will reboot in 5 seconds.

Then the power goes down. It does this every time i try to start up. I cant even get into the bios to disable it again.

I have checked all wires going to the mobo are fine and that the fan is securly in place. Cleaned it out and its spinning fine with no unusal noise.

Can any one suggest anything?

Thanks

Scott

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Clear CMOS with the jumper. I don't know what motherboard you have, but it should point out the jumper that accomplishes this. Failing that, you can pop out the CMOS battery on the motherboard and leave it out for a few minutes.

Now, this will set the BIOS to it's shipping defaults, meaning that any custom settings you have will be undone.

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

If Big Bs suggestion doesn't work, update your BIOS. BUT be careful with this and read all instructions (usually found in the motherboards manufacturers web site) on how to do it.

Alternatively, you can simply leave the fan warning disabled. Of course, it's not the best choice (since you won't be notified about fan failures), but if the fan's working then it doesn't really matter.

4. Tunnie999

Tunnie999 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the tips guys.

Im a bit confussed about how to "clear the CMOS jumper?" How would i go about that?

The idea about the CMOS battery sounds good, is this battery the round silver one?

Scott

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

Check your motherboard manual (either the printed one that came with your motherboard as part of the package or check on the internet) and follow the instructions for clearing the BIOS (ie CMOS).

Sometimes (like for myself), to clear the jumper, I need both to reposition it and remove the battery (yes, it's the silver thing on you mobo) - it all depends on the mobo manufacturer/type. As I said earlier - find a manual - and follow the instructions very carefully - that should be pretty foolproof. :D

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Like edjis said, check your manual on the jumper.

Yeah, the CMOS battery is the thing that looks like a small coin.

When clearing CMOS either way, do it with the system off.