Errors And Failings... Need Help!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chris_, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Hello guys, it's been a bad day today apart from me getting my Antec 480W PSU for my new pc.

Anyways, I think this is how it started.. I left 2 programs running (Spybot S&D and Registry Mechanic). Switched user, So the programs were still running and went out. I came back a few hours later to find that someone had turned the computer off, and I thought 'ah well', so then I switched the PC back on and it got to the Memory testing in the boot up and said "CMOS checksum error 'CD Drive'" not sure it said CD Drive..

So I reboot tap F8 the Advanced boot options come up, I chose Safe Mode and it went through executing all the files and then went to the bad resolution logon aka safe mode.. I logged on to the Administrator account and it must've been tired or something... no response from waiting 5 minutes.

I switched the computer back off and tried loading normal boot up.. which worked but I couldn't logon to my account so I tried my dads and luckily it worked. Sadly, there's no taskbar (Start button etc..) So I had to navigate and run programs with Task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del).

First things I did was check for viruses. Seen as though I had no Specific protection always running (My McAfee Subscription ran out last week). I came to the end of Spybot S&D and it had found around 4 infections. I cleaned them and then logged off my dads account.

Thinking that the viruses was the cause for all this I attepmted to log back to my account. This time it worked and loaded all my normal setting and everything. Except it couldn't seem to sign in to MSN Messenger. I troubleshooted and still no connection.

So then I want to install some permanent security until, I get the next security. I downloaded ZoneAlarm Free Edition and popped up a window saying "You cannot have mcafee and zonealarm firewalls running on the same computer blah blah blah blah.." So then I go to Add/Remove programs and Try and remove 'McAfee Personal Firewall'. Im thinking ok I've got it all sorted and then COMPLETE BLACK OUT.. I have been meaning to post about this for a while but never though whilst I have been browsing HWF. So what it does is black out for one second then refreshes as though it will come back on but it doesn't. So i reboot and find that I can't log back onto my own Account.. I am currently posting this on my dad's windows account using Windows Task Manager..

I have tried some things like clearing the CMOS by taking the motherboard battery out and I tried resetting the jumpers something willhub told me a while ago but i wasn't certain of what to do.

Here's some specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7DXE
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (Reset to default 1.8GHz)
    GPU: 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee .. I know :eek:
    PSU: 350w Generic ... it works though
    RAM: 768MB PC2100 [1x512,1x256]
    Optical Drive: 52x24x52 CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combi
    Hard Drive: Maxtor 40GB
    FDD: Generic Floppy Drive

I think the problem is that the computer was turned off when having 2 scans in the run.. or that mixed with some malware..

I would appreciate any input thanks in advance!

Chris_

EDIT: I think it still might be that CMOS checksum thing because I updated the Spybot S&D and when i downloaded the Virus Definitions it said "CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR" any infrmation you can offer would be awesome! :D

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

My guess is that Registry Mechanic was doing a automatic scan when the system got turned off and in doing so, screwed with the registry.
    I'd prob just try a repair install or try rolling back to a previous restore date!
    P.S - In task manager, click new task and type 'explorer' without the quotes and your taskbar should come back :cool:

3. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

I rolled back to another date just after I posted and nothing has changed. And I knew to run explorer after one of my mates computer kept blacking out.

Now I get this error. It pops up every 60 seconds say :mad:

Here's another few screens, am I running anything suspicious?

Thanks, Chris

4. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Damn, I think that 'userinit.exe' is either the virus (probably trojan), or is infected with spyware. Im running registry mechanic again and it's identified thousands of problems. I better start backing up and maybe reformat.

EDIT: And yes it was. Right no for removing it. It's a trojan, I know that and so far Spybot hasn't helped neither MS AntiSpyware. I'll try Lavasoft's Ad-Aware.. has anyone came accross this before?
    Here's the image :mad:

5. pelvis_3

Try grabbing a copy of The Ultimate Boot CD and do a virus scan with it. Hopefully you'll be able to remove it!

6. Addis

Addis The King

A reformat and reinstall would be the best thing to do. If your system is badly damaged in the registry aswell as by malware then I would recommend it. When you do make sure all updates and service packs are installed as well as all security software.

7. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

If you don't have anything backed up, just do a repair. If you have everything backed up already, I'd just format and re-install WindowsXP. Bye bye problems (save for windowsxp :p)

8. pelvis_3

Repair installs can also stuff things up too!
    Backing up your data in any case should be considered.

9. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I've only seen repairs damage data if it gets interrupted, but yeah, you should be backing up data all the time. But who does :p

10. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Lol, I will start backing up tonight and I haven't got a XP Pro cd anywhere :mad: