Evga 980 Ti Acx Cooler Vs Evga 980 Ti Superclocked Acx Cooler?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by JoeyMartin1958, Jun 16, 2015.

1. JoeyMartin1958

JoeyMartin1958 Geek Trainee

Hello all,

Just two quick questions here. I have decided that I am going to be selling my GTX 780 and upgrading to a 980 ti. Looking at the different 980 ti models though, I'm left with a debate between two.
    The EVGA 980 ti w/ ACX Cooler (Priced at $649.99 on amazon)
    And the EVGA 980 ti Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler (Priced at $679.99 on amazon)
    Upon looking at the specs, the only real difference I see is a slightly higher clock speed. Is this boost in clock speed worth the $30.00? I know it's not a big price difference but I'd prefer to not waste my money on something that would give be a boost of under 5fps.
    My second question involves the PSU of my system.
    I currently have this card. Both the 780 and 980 ti have TDPs of 250 Watts. I have a 600w PSU (this one) currently and am not having any issues with it. I still would plan on upgrading my PSU later this year for one of a higher quality, but is it neccesary to upgrade now due to a higher power consumption of this card?

To summarize my questions:

1. 980 ti ACX vs 980 ti superclocked ACX, is the Superclock worth it for $30.00?
    2. Would there be an increase in Power consumption when going from the 780 to the 980ti? I currently have a 600W PSU.

Thank you all so much!

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

980Ti offers way too little to justify high price. I suggest that you check first what AMD's just announced cards have to offer or go cheaply and get AMD Radeon 290X for around 300$. At that price, I see no reasons to consider 980Ti. Both cards are very old tech (28nm, that is 3,5 years old!) so spare money for something new (14nm/16nm cards, 20nm, was skipped because Apple bought all manufacturing capacity).

1. No, as already stated, there is no sense buying 980Ti. Either 300$ for R9 290X, quite a steal or check AMD's just announced new cards (and if nothing spectacular there wait for new tech).

2. Nothing spectacular I expect. Your PSU has triple +12V rails. Just make sure you use same connectors that are currently in use and probably there is no problems.