External Drive not recognized in 'My Computer'

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by anais4uk, Dec 17, 2006.

1. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Hello came across this forum whilst searching for answers on the net. Hope someone out there can help me out here as I haven't a clue what to do next. Heres my problem:

I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB External Hard Drive which has been working fine until yesterday when all of a sudden the drive became unreadable. This has happened before, some time ago and I ended up loosing all my data as the only way out was a format. I formated the drive again last night to get it up and running again and it worked fine until today when after booting up my computer the external drive is no longer showing up in 'My Computer'. It is recognized in Device Manager but I cannot find it anywhere else. Can anyone help me out please?

Best wishes Anais

2. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

Does it appear in the BIOS? and do you have any other USB devices that don't appear in My Computer when connected?

3. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Thank you for you fast response NeloForster. I have just connected my digital camera on the same usb and that was recognized. How would I check for it in my BIOS? I am running windows XP.

Many thanks

4. NeloForster

Well getting into the BIOS is different dependant on your motherboard... Sometimes you have to keep hitting delete when you start your PC up, or sometimes it's one of the F keys. When your PC does its power on self test with all the writing on the (usually) black screen it might say "press * to enter setup" where * is the key you need to press... Whilst in the BIOS go to primary master/slave and see if your HDD model appears in there if you can...

5. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

I have just gone into BIOS and Primary master shows my internal hard drive, Primary slave shows [none]. I went into primary slave > Auto detection > pressed enter > still nothing :(

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I think u will find that in external devices....

7. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Sorry but I am quite a novice with technical side of things.......I could not see external devices in my BIOS only Primary master........primary slave........secondary master..........secondary slave. Am I missing something? or maybe I was not in the right place?

8. Karanislove

I think we are on the wrong side....coz v dnt have to setup the boot priority... V just need to check if its detecting your HDD or not... So instead of BOOT, check somewhere in advanced or something. I cant remember the exact place but I know that Boot is not the right place...:doh:
    Also, what exactly happens when you connect your HDD with your computer?? I mean, any USB connection voice?? Which external HDD u've got?? 2.5"(Laptops) or 3.5"(Desktop)??

9. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Sorry I was just following the above advice :) When I connect my HDD to computer there is USB sound, it shows up in Device Manager, but cannot find it anywhere else. I am using HDD in external casing.

10. NeloForster

Have you tried plugging a USB device into the same USB port? Also check the USB cable you use to link the external HDD to the USB port. Is there any damage? Are you able to change the cable to test if it's that which is faulty? Just a few things worth trying...

Mike

11. Karanislove

After connecting your HDD
    RightClick MyComputer > Manage > Disk Management
    Can you see your HDD here?? SPecifically look at the Right hand side bottom of Disk Management...

Edit:
    Reason y i asked you this question because there is a HDD inside that enclosure, so if its a 3.5" HDD then you can jst opens up the case and hook that HDD with your desktop machine, unless that HDD is a SATA or SCSI which your mobo doesnt support Nd i really doubt this coz most of the External HDD's are ATA...

12. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Yes I plugged my digital camera into the same port and that worked fine although it did use a different cable. The cable I am using for the external drive on inspection looks fine, I will have to purchase another cable to test whether or not it is faulty.

13. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

In Disk management I cannot see my HDD there..............nothing at right hand side bottom of disk management either... Yes I could just open up the case and hook the HDD into the desktop machine but that would take some time and I thought there may be an easier way around it.

Thanks for bearing with me on this one....

14. Karanislove

Try using a different USB port.... Also make sure that there is no disconnection with the Power of that external enclosure...

That was just to make sure that there is no problem with your HDD....

15. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

I have connected to a different port....still nothing. There is no disconnection of power to the external enclosure. Also went into computer management and done rescan disks...it appears to be accessing the external drive because the red light keeps coming on as if it is being read....but still not detected external HDD....it seemed to be scanning for quite some time is this normal?

16. Karanislove

Not sure exactly but i think your HDD have generated some bad sectors.... Can you Hook that HDD inside your computer and use "chkdisk" to see if there are any bad sectors or something...??

17. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Yes I will have to do that tomorrow as it is getting quite late I will update this thread with my findings tomorrow some time.....many thanks for your help and for being patient with me.

Best wishes Anais

18. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Before I leave for the night.....just wanted to mention that I have noticed that when I turn the external drive on there is USB sound (which indicates it has found the drive) then after a couple of seconds the sound repeats as if I have disconnected the drive.....have you any idea why this is happening?

19. Karanislove

I think this usually happens, if particular USB device
    1. Doesnt find the drivers to run on the computer
    2. If there is any problem in the device....
    3. If USB port is not able to provide enough power to run the device...

20. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

I thought I would try one last thing before logging off. I uninstalled the external drive from device manager then reinstalled it. It has now decided to at last show up in 'My Computer' but it won't let me access it. I am getting the error 'I:\ is not accessible, Access is denied. Does this mean I will once again have to format the drive?