External Hard Drive not accessable in XP

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by herbjr, Jul 17, 2009.

1. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Hello All, long time no see.

I am having trouble with External Hard Drive. It is made by Eagle Consus. This is not the first time I am trying to use it with XP. It use to work before I reinstalled windows and updated the updates from windows. The HDD "is seen" in the ubuntu OS I have installed on my laptop.

I can see it in Computer Management>Device manager>Disk Drives. Its read by Windows as a Disk Drive and I can pull up the information of the drive in properties (size and all) but it isnt assigned a letter in My Computer and I have no way to access it via Windows, only Ubuntu. Also, it is formatted to NTSF or something like that haha. I have files on here I need and can not back up so reformatting it is out the question ATM. I think it may be a problem that occurred after the updates from windows (because it worked before that) but IDK.

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks!

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

try removing it and inserting in another usb slot?

i get the same problem with pen drives sometimes and using another slot almost always solves the problem..

3. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Same result in every slot.. (I have 4 slots on my pc and 4 on my cooling pad)

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Sounds like a Windows issue specifically since you can see it in Linux on the same hardware. Are your USB and chipset drivers installed in Windows?

5. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

I am not sure what you mean. If you are referring to my USB ports and all then yeah because all my other USB devices work, even my flash drives.