Fan Adjusting?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by UnSeEn, May 29, 2006.

1. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Hey all. Recently, I participated in a lan party and won 2nd place in the UT2004 tourney. For it, I got some sort of device used to adjust fan speeds for sound purposes (I think). I'm a little hazey on the exact purpose of it, but I'm pretty sure that's it. It has the option of turning up the fan speed, and I have a question about this. If I manage to turn up the fan speed, do you think that will be sufficient enough coolness for me to overclock my system? I've got a GeForce 6800 GT, Pentium 4 1.9 Ghz (a little old..), 1 GB ram, etc. Another question. It also has the option of turning off my fans altogether. Although this is a creepy option and I probably wouldn't do it anyway, is it safe if I don't overclock my system? Thanks.

P.S. It comes with pretty blue LCD bulbs!! Yay!

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

You can normally overclock any computer with relative 'saftey' but the main factor is how far you take it.

Your nor going to be able to just 'overclock and go' it can take alot of time! its best to overclocking in small amounts and then benchmark, while keeping an eye on temps. If it survives the benchmark then increase the clock speed again, and bench (you can also see how much of a diffrence your making this way)

3. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Point taken. Over the summer, I might see if Exfoliate can come over and we'll have a crazy overclocking fest/test session. With what I have, it probably won't make so much difference, but it all adds to it!

I'll be careful though, I'd hate to fry my computer. I heard that within the first 3 hours of LanWars VI, one guy overclocked his computer so much that he fused some cables together or something. I have no clue.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, I have one of the gizmos you are talking about. I love the thing. I have 2 Vantec Tornadoes in my computer, which, hence the name, are loud, but they really move air. I put them at about 2200 RPMs normally and then up it to 5000 for intense stuff. But, at 5000 RPMs they make about 55 dB so it can get unpleasant. But anyways, to answer the overclocking question, kinda. The fan controller won't make the fan go faster, only enable you to slow it down. regardless, you will still be able to overclock to an extent, but you will need more cooling if you want to really get into it. and about turning it off, it is fine as long as you monitor the temperatures the first time you turn them off and make sure ithey don't rise more than a few degrees.