Fan Connectors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by papa m, Jan 6, 2007.

1. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I am looking at the available space left on my motherboard for various connectors, and as far as fan connectors go, I have plenty but they don't seem to be 'common spec'. They are small 3 pin connectors, whereas most of the fans I see are 4 pin. If you're struggeling to picture what I mean, please say so and I'll post some images.

My question is, is there an adapter I can use on these small 3 pins for the what seems to be norm 4 pin connector? The funny thing is, the connector for the 120mm fan I have already fits perfectly into the CPU power slot, which has written besides it on the motherboard 'sata'.

Sorry if this is a little misleading, I'd like to understand this before I go and buy the fans... ;)

Thanks in advance.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Three pin fan headers allow for fan speed control through PWM which is why they are superior, allowing the fan speed to be adjusted by the motherboard in real time. You don't get this control with molex connectors. Although, you do get more power through the molex connector which can be a good and bad thing. Noise being one factor.

This will allow a three pin fan to be used with a molex plug.
    This will allow a molex fan to be used with a 3 pin motherboard header.