fan in cd bay part of case???

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Willz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i am thinking of putting a fan above the dvd-rw drive in my computer, you know those covers that pull out, i dont mean the metal bits you pull out, i am thinking of keeping them in but just putting a fan behind them becouse there is gaps inbetween them but will those small gaps be sufficiant enought for a fan to suck air through? its only like a 2mm gap but 4 including 2 gaps, but wont it pull air through the side aswell?

i might have the fan in cd bay sucking out, so again will it be sufficiant for that?

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

3. Willz

ok.....
    lol that dint really answer my question :p

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

it was an alternative, i suppose you could put a fan in there though, dont know how effective it would be.

5. Willz

oh, i aint going to spend loads on a fan, the main reason i wanted to do it was the have some blue light in there, as i have a blue cold cathode fan, but if it aint effective then there is no point as it will be a waste of electric.

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea I don't see that being very practical. I was the one who found that evercool PCAC. Kudos to me.

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah uber kudos my friend, i want one! :p

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I do too, but I think my next buy will be an upgrade from Ceramique to AS5, a lapping kit, and maybe some of that cleaner stuff. Thinking about that Arctic Silver has a very nice manual on how to apply the AS to the heatsink.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah, also any ideas about where to get that cd bay turbine cooler in the u.k max?

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

No idea. I can't even remember where I found it in the U.S. I saw it one time and just passed it by but a few months later I thought of a use for it and tried to find it. Took me 2 days to find it again. Maybe check "Where to Buy" on their site.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

12. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

You can get a Bay cooler that just goes in one ov the 5 inch drive bays and sucks air throuh ive heard they are quiet efective hope it helps Dave :cool:

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i've seen them, this blows out but you could always cut and re-solder wires to make it suck in, it moves a lot of air as well.

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For the 5.25" bays, you can match up 40mm fans that'll fit in there. That's also happens to be what the 5.25" drive racks use. You can fit 3 40mm fans in their.

As for air flow, it's best to have it all going in one direction. Typically, air is pulled in the front of the case and sucked out the back.