FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jamie85, May 24, 2004.

1. jamie85

jamie85 Geek Trainee

Can you change a Windows partition to FAT32 from NTFS without wiping out everything on that partition??

I want to be able to write to my windows partition from Linux but i have read it is dangerous if the windows partition is NTFS.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not that I'm aware of. Linux should see NTFS just fine, but make sure you're not using an older version of whatever distro you're using.

You might be able to do with some 3rd party software, like Partition Magic, but I'm not positive.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't know of how to convert NTFS to FAT32, as I've never wanted to do this myself. NTFS is a superior file system to FAT32, and with kernel patches (or kernel =< 2.6) you can write to an NTFS file system with no troubles. You just have to make sure that module is enabled in your kernel, and that you've got your NTFS drive mounted as R/W.

4. iDRONEi

iDRONEi Geek Trainee

PartitionMagic will work. But not as a copy. Create a larger partition than the NTFS because it may have smaller sectors. Then copy the dir to the new Fat32.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Also, traditional FAT32 implementations are limited to 30GB, so if your partition is larger than that you will probably have problems.