Fear (Full Version)

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by beretta9m2f, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Hey i just got Fear the retail version and its pretty slow at times(theres no fps counter but, sometimes i move the mouse and it takes a second for the gun to respond). Are the graphics so advanced that it cripples a 7800GT and AMD 3700 at everything max? I installed a no CD patch cuz i hate having the 5th disk in all the time, if thats the problem i'm reinstalling and just doing it the normal way. If anyone else has the game, let me know how it performs on your system.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

no, apparently if you can play half life 2, you should be able to play F.E.A.R, it runs perfectly on maximum settings with my X800XT PE.

on maximum settings, i do get the odd crash for about 10 seconds, but thats down to my ram and processor, other than the odd crash, it runs tottaly perfext, nearly getting 100-280FPS depending were i am, can drop to 50 or 60 sometimes..

3. beretta9m2f

Damn this is wierd, It plays smoothly in some areas, and then it slows down sluggishly if i play it on maximum settings for both cpu and gfx. I wonder what's up- maybe i'm just being picky- but when i play half life 2/CS source, and doom 3 on max/ultra its smooth as hell with about 180fps in source.

Oh! how do you find out your fps in fear? How do i activate a console?

4. Willz

180fps in source.
    hmm what FPS are you getting in half lifw 2 and DOOM 3?

5. beretta9m2f

half life 2, I'm indoors and it jumps between 150-210ish if i remember correctly. And doom 3 i was never able to unlock the fps counter so it was always at 60 with the tens digit going nuts.

6. Willz

in doom 3 to unlock fps count, open command console and type in com_fixedtic -1

hmm half life 2, errm i would expect more form your card, i get about the same as you in half life 2, but its like 60-150-250 etc

7. beretta9m2f

Oh really? i thought your card was the ati equivalent to the 7800. Thanks for the console:)

8. Willz

np :), somewere on the forum there is a link to loads of commands for doom 3, i think its in a thread i started

no,the X800XTPE is not nearly as good as the 7800 series, i dont think, but apparently these new 5.11 drivers will make a card like mine beat nvidia cards in doom 3, the ATI equivalent to a 7800 is i think X1800XL and X1800XT

somthing to do with open gl???

9. beretta9m2f

ohhh thats right! wow i should be getting more fps on half life 2. You think its an NVIDIA vs ATI on the same game type of thing? I've heard that half life 2 works better on ATI. lol, crap busted at work- gotta run but thanks for all the info!

10. Willz

ok, np :) i thought Half life 2 was a best with nvidia game :s

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah the source engine is ATi's thing but even fear shouldn't cripple a computer with specs as grand as yours. And on top of it all you have 2 gigs of ram, something that hardcore FEAR buffs drool over. For all practical purposes you should have no problem whatsoever running it.
    But since you do I'm going to stick with your origional idea. The no_cd crack. I've learned from experience that those are a surefire way to load your PC up with spyware. Definatly not a good idea. Though in my experience the spyware I had didn't seem to affect my gaming experience yours may for one reason or another. I'd download Spybot Search and Destroy, patch the game and reinstall perhaps. I hope I'm not leading you up a dead end by suggesting something that won't do a darn but I can't really see why it would skip like that.

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

fear full version

I can't even start the game unless sound is disabled.
    When I try to start with sound enabled it just goes to a black screen and CPU at 100% before it hits menu.

I've tried with multiple sound cards. Any ideas?

13. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

fear full version

Is the game process taking up the 100%?

14. ninja fetus

fear full version

yeah it just sits there at 100%, I've left it for about 20 minutes once and nothing changed

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Threads merged.

There's a patch out for it already. I'm not sure what it all fixes, but it might be worth checking out. I downloaded the single player demo, but haven't played it yet.

16. Willz

F.E.A.R takes up 100% cpu usage? : O

when i try to play it now, all i get is a black screen, and cant do anyhting, all i see is the mouse cursor :(

I dont seem to be able to get sound either :*(

17. beretta9m2f

Dude, you are one of MANY who share the same problem. I spent some time reading up on the VU forums. Tons of people are facing glitches in FEAR. Some of them performance, some of them black screens. Apparantly the patch plus Nvidia's latest drivers are supposed to fix 'em. I installed the new drivers as clean as possible(safe mode, driver cleaner and all that good stuff) but i gotta say even with the suggested "soft shadows disabled" the game suffers from poor fps at times. and i'm only running it at 1024X768. for giggles i put it on 1600X1200 it was like playing with a geforce 5200......nuff said. lol argh its such a good game i wish i could get it to play well!

PS: besides slowdown i'm experincing sound/gfx problems. i read a fix for the sound i'll post it when i find it again. And sometimes when i shoot the muzzle flash is over the gun instead of in front.

18. ninja fetus

yeah 100% cpu usage, like a memory leak but on your processor causing it to be unresponsive.
    I tried installing the latest patch, lateast catylist, NGO, and omega drivers, different sound card, different CPU, different ram, different video card.

I'm just gonna go play quake 4. I'm tired of games being released without being tested properly.

19. Willz

i have, just found out, my sounds was working, just i pushed a button by accident on the sub woofer, errm, but on all max settings, and reseloution on 1152x864 or somthing, i was getting very bad fps now, 20 fps and sometimes as low as 10.

first time i started up game, i went and changed all graphics settings to max, and res to max, and then tested the settings, my computer crashed, then when i got back into windows and started the game, everyhting was on minimum, inc res at 600x800, i then got it all back to normal, exited the game, and just as i was coming back onto the windows desktop, the computer crashed, so, turned computer back on, got back into windows, finnaly got onto F.E.A.R, put all settings back to max, res at 1152x864, then got into game, getting vvvvvvvv low fps, go to a part, screen went black, and computer reset itself.

are all these glitches that lots of people are suffering from, becouse i need to solve these or i cant play the game :*(

when i managed to get onto the demo, i was getting really good fps, but graphics looked rubbish even tho they were on max.

but havent actually managed to get onto a part what you actually play on the actual game yet.

so beretta9m2f, your suffering from poor fps with your 7800gt, yet your fx 5200 seems to like playing the game at good settings, seems like its a problem that all high end cards have maybe :\

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow this is really discouraging for me, If you guys can't play it properly then I really can't. Shame they couldn't have polished one of the most anticipated shooters off this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.