Films u have to watch to understand!!!

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by yorkkev28, Aug 27, 2006.

1. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Having just looked at an old post bout Donnie Darko what other films have u seen that u really have to watch to understand whats going on.

My choices:Twelve Monkeys - i got it after watching several times
    Butterfly Effect - Bizarre, Bizarre, Bizarre
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I kept losing track of where i was in the film
    Vanilla Sky - could of been a classic but they explained it at the end and ruined it

2. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Primer (2004). I watched this one (see link below) and have watched it several times since and still don't fully understand it!

However, I'm not alone - it confounded many of the supposedly intellectually highbrowed critics.

Primer (2004)

3. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Hah! Funny you should mention those movies, David. Last night, I downloaded The Butterfly Effect and watched it. Excellent movie, most definitely. And I JUST downloaded Donnie Darko, though I've seen it several times. No matter how many times I watch that movie, I'll never understand it completely...

Twelve Monkeys is a great movie too, and I can think of some others that kept me wondering.

- Pink Floyd's "The Wall" = I don't know if it's supposed to be confusing as hell, but it certainly is. The best part of it is the music (obviously).

- "Brazil" (made by one of the Monty Python crowd) = Excellent movie about a strange futuristic society, very similar to 1984 except with funny bits. Confusing at bits...needs some analysing.

- "Fight Club" had a decent amount of confusion in it due to the whole "split-personality" thing. Interesting!

Personally, it seems that movies like that are ones that are my favorite. After watching The Butterfly Effect last night, I think I've found a new one to put in my Top 10.

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

There must be more films ive seen where at the end ive thought WTF!!

Im racking my brain.......

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Fight Club
    Butterfly Effect
    The matrix (not me personally but I know a few people that didnt follow it)

6. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, watched the Butterfly Effect for the first time yesterday. I think I'll need to see it again to fully understand it.

7. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Yeah, I didn't follow the Matrix at all. And since I didn't follow the Matrix, the two other Matrix movies didn't make sense either, so I've watched a complete trilogy that I didn't understand in the least.

(though technically, the first movie is the only one worth watching :p )

8. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I haven't seen it yet, but I keep hearing that Memento is one you have to watch with your full attention. I'll probably check it out soon cuz I also heard its really good.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh Memento is quite good! come to think of it, I can't remember what happens in the film, doh. Might watch it again:)

10. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

2001: a space odyssey

And i still don't get what happens at the end :)

11. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Donny Darko - did I mention is before? :p

A History of Violence - WTF??? :eek:hah:

Pirates of The Carabeans II..... Davey who?

Space Odysee - yeah that was a :swear: up one. Blow you head if you smoked somfink before.....

Arrgghhh there are loads but I cannot remember.....

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

By and far The Manchurian canidate, I couldn't tell you thing that went on in that movie, I could tell it was a "good" movie in the sense that a lot of thought was put into it and it had good production values but I honestly was totally lost all the way though. It probably made a lot more sense to most people though.
    If I had to write a synopsis of the matrix trilogy I'd be totally screwed too.

13. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

Pulp Fiction and Jurassic Park (It made ALOT more sense after reading the book)

14. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

A new-ish one to add to the list: Lucky Number Sleven. Pretty good movie, but quite confusing overall. The end of the movie tries to explain everything...maybe I'm just a bit slow, but I guess I didn't catch it all. Grab it and see what you think.

15. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Lucky Number Sleven; I want to watch that, hmmm maybe on the weekend. Its been recommended by quite a few people.

16. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Good cast in that movie: Bruce Willis, Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freedman, Lucy Lui...etc. etc. Not too shabby! My only gripe with it is that it doesn't seem to have a defined genre --> It starts off as a serious movie, turns into a hilarious comedy, and reverts back to being serious. It was a bit confusing at times....but good nontheless.

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sounds cool dude, I love Bruce Willis movies.
    I saw "The Game" with Michael Douglas a few days ago, I followed it more or less until it got to the last part of the movie, then I got highly mixed up and things didn't make a lot of sense to me.

18. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Okay here are a few:
    Munich
    Syriana
    Spy Game
    Constantine

Okay for the first three, they are all great movies! And they're all action. Syriana and munich are pretty recent but spy game is a bit older -- 2001. Out of the three munich is the easiest though. I watched Spy Game with subtitles and still rewound a few times lol. And my friend spent like half an hour explaining Syriana after I watched it in theatre with him, but now that I get I think it's good lol. It's just too compressed, thats the only problem with it. It's a really complex plot squeezed in too much.

Constantine I still have no clue wtf was going on because I watched it in a theatre and literally like half the movie was in whispers or hushed tone, and I have a hearing problem so... But it didn't seem all that great even if i had understood it, but not bad. The first 3 are definitely more worth watching.

--

Responding to some of the earlier posts, do u want me to explain history of violence? I didnt really have a problem understanding it (although of course its not as simple as as some silly comedy or something) and I thought it was pretty good.

19. viper

viper Geek

Constantine wasn't difficult to understand, i went to see it at the cinema, not my favourite film but its ok.

20. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Yeah I'm sure it wasn't if u're not deaf like I am! lol