Folding using CUDA

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Ferg, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hey guys, thought I'd alert you to this (you may already know but I just came across it)

If you have an CUDA enabled nvidia GPU 9 series or better you can use a beta version of the windows client that folds using primarily the graphics card - which should be leagues ahead of any CPU based folding exercise.

Just running it now and I can see that it is burning up in my GTX 295 pushing both the cores right up to full load temperatures while it seems to be using core 4 on my CPU only.

There is a version out that also has a special 'viewer' for these cards - see thumnail attatched for a screendump of the 'eyecandy' ^_^

I'm gonna run it for a while and see how my stats do :)

link for the high performance clients:
    Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

Attached Files:

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

UPDATE: I found that it was the display window using 100% on core 4 of the CPU, closing it leaves my CPU happy to do other things while the GPU carries on doing all the hard work.

UPDATE 2: I now have it configured and using the two cores on the card independently - is a huge fiddle/hassle but should be worth it for a true 100% increase on work.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Yeh its pretty cool, I used to run it on my 9800gtx but wasn't stable at the time. You can probably get some extra performance if you use the non-GUI version.

Anyway I've not folded for ages now, used to have the PS3 on 24/7 but started to get hot and failed. I might start folding again once some gets close to me on the points.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

HA, I'M CATCHING YOU :chk:

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I leapfrogged about half the league table last night - don't be counting you chickens so quick! ^_^

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Until your average doubles mine, I WOULDN'T BE COUNTING ANY CHICKENS xP