Freely modify 1 file from anywhere

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by thomas234, May 28, 2007.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi!

I'm looking for a simple way to make it so that 1 file (a text file) can be freely modified by anybody.

The situation is:
    I downloaded a lot of Flash games that were numbered from 1000 - 2800. I couldn't be bothered to go through and rename them all. I then took these games to school on a memory stick, and distrubuted them to lots of people. They have quickly spread but people are finding annoying that the games don't have names.

To try and combat this, I want to create a file or website (like a Wiki) that can be modified by anyone, where they can add the number of a game and its name.

I would setup a Wiki, but my only online storage space is the stuff that came with my Internet, and that doesn't have the necessarcy software installed on it.

To sum up, I need a way to freely modify a file or webpage from anywhere that anyone can access. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could do this?

Thanks, Thomas

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

if you have a FTP server available, you could make one document available for people to download, modify and upload back, renaming it to the date modified and adding the editors name so that you can track changes.

or get a team together of like 10 people. each member gets a fair amount of games and let them write the names.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks I'll look into both of those options later today.

Thomas

5. geek9pm

geek9pm Geek Trainee

I am not sure what a Wiki. I have some web space that I do not use. I had great plans, but lack to ability to use all this web site stuff. I found in my control panel these two items:

TikiWiki
    PhpWiki
    :doh:

If you like, I will just give you some free space for six months. No tricks, no ads, no banners, hadda hadda.. I have a "poorly used" domain at
    qxga.info that you can have. It already has name servers set. I am want is to see how you set up a wicki or ticki or however you solve this problem. I need some education. :chk:
    Just say you want it, I will send you the userid, password and control IP address.

6. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks a lot for the offer, but someone had a lot of spare time and went through and named them all in a text file, then spread it.

Thanks a lot anyway, Thomas