Fried PSU????

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by JP4LSU, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

I have been running my new build for about 3-4 weeks without the slightest bit of trouble. I left town for about 5 days, and I turned the system off while I was gone but I left it plugged into the surge protector.

On Tuesday after we came back, my wife was using the computer and sending emails when the system went out and the fans kept trying to come back on. She turned the power off until I got home.

The LED on the mobo is on, so some power is getting to the mobo, I checked my Powerswitch wiring to the mobo and it seemed to be OK. But nothing happens at all when I turn the power on.

Any Ideas??

PSU: Antec 550W SLI Tru
    CPU: AMD X2 4200+
    Mobo: ASUS A8N SLI Premium
    Vid: EVGA 7800GT

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try this:

Unplug the power connections to the motherboard, clear CMOS, then reconnect the power to the motherboard. Also, make sure the switch on the back of the power supply is on. Silly, but it's something that can easily happen.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

I'll give that a shot. I've checed the PSU switch.
    What does the CMOS do? Or What does Clearing CMOS do?

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The CMOS is the setup utility for the BIOS. The CMOS is also a special memory chip that holds your BIOS settings in it. The BIOS is the chip that actually controls your hardware.

Clearing the CMOS will remove all of your settings, and restore the computer to a 'factory state'.

5. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

Now talking about CMOS, I haven't updated my BIOS from ASUS because I have had problems with my router from SBC, which tries to acquire the network address every 10 seconds.

So since the updated BIOS is not installed do you think this could be a problem. I don't see how it could make a difference. So my BIOS is at factory setting already if I have never updated the BIOS, correct?

I will give this a try anyway. Anything else you guys think I should check.

Again, LED on the mobo stays lit, so the mobo is getting some power but when trying to turn the PC on, it does nothing. I'm starting to think it's the mobo.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, you may want to try a decent, known working PSU first before tearing the system apart. Granted, it could be the motherboard, but you don't know and since the power supply is easier to get to and the cheaper part, you're better off to test that first.

7. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

I do have an old Compaq desktop that I replaced. I will try to pull the PSU out of it and disconnect my optical drives and only leave my HD hooked up, just to see if the system will start.

If it does come on then I know its the PSU. My 30 days has just passed at Newegg where I bought my components from, so I will probably have to go through Antec. have any of you had to deal with Antec.

I hope I don't have a problem with them, because I don't have the orginal box anymore. If in fact it is the PSU.

8. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

Well,
    I have now discovered that my PSU isn't bad. I followed a trouble shooting guide from Antec that had you jump the power pin and nother pin on the 24 pin connector. If the PSU fan came on then the PSU was OK.

Well it came on, so then I unplugged everything from the mobo and took out the mobo to see if anything was shorting out such as the hold down screws and standoffs.

I put it back in and only had the HD and the video card connected along with all the power switch lines and all. It began booting up. At this time I had the case on it's side. When I turned upright and rebooted it almost made it to the log in window before it just stopped.

I'm thinking it is something shorting out with the hold down screws or something. I will continue to mess with that, but do you guys have any other suggestions.

Thanks!

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you might want to make sure your mounting studs are secure, especially if they're metal. Then make sure when you remount the motherboard that they all line up with a hole. Tighten every screw down well.

Of course, since it looks like you're going to have to take the motherboard out, look at the back and see if there's anything exposed on the back, particluarly any traces around the mounting holes.

10. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

Will do Big B and thanks.
    Can I pick up some plastic standoff mounts at CompUSA or Circuit City? That would make more sense to me.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't see why not.

12. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Geek Trainee

It has been discovered that neither my PSU or mobo are fried.

I removed the mobo again. There were a couple of brass standoffs that had little dows or nipples that went inside the screw holes of the mobo to aid in aligning the mobo. I took those out and replaced them with flat standoffs and also I superglued little felt washers on the backsid of the mobo that sit on the standoffs.

Reinstalled everything and it has been working fine for 2 days. Hopefully that was the cure for the long haul.