Front panel indicators:trying to wire them to the mobo

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by LoneStar, Sep 15, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

I think Ive figured most of it out, besides the power LED. It has three connections on the mobo: two positive and one negative(standby signal) according to the manual. My front panel only has one positive and one negative though, so which positive mobo connector do I use?

Also with the front panel indicator wires, all pairs are white and another color(blue, green, orange, etc). So is white usually the ground(negative) and the other color positive?

Sorry, my case didn't come with an instruction manual, and none of the wires have positive and negative labeled, except for the power LED.
    Confusing? Sorry thats the best I can explain.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just plug them in where you think they go, if you plug them in the wrong way around (get polarity wrong) they will just not work, in which case turn them around, it will not damage anything if connected in reverse polarity (+ on - and - on +) just try them until they work

3. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Thanks, got the power led working, still now the hdd led isnt coming on...???
    I have it on the right pins and ive tried it both ways - to + and + to -, and it still wont work, do you think its faulty?

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try both positions, see which is for power, and which one is standby - and leave it connected to power

they change with different case manufacturers, but one wire is + and one wire is -, just try both ways around

it will NOT do any harm to anything by connecting LED's reverse polarity

P.S. what mobo ? and what case ?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try a different LED
    I have it on the right pins and ive tried it both ways - to + and + to -, and it still wont work, do you think its faulty?[/QUOTE]it will NOT do any harm to anything by connecting LED's reverse polarity

P.S. what mobo ? and what case ?

6. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Thanks for all the help donkey.
    I have a DFI Infinity Mobo and an Apevia(aspire) X-plorer case.

BTW, i did all this w/o the processor in(don't have it yet), I just wanted to make sure all the lights and hardware were functioning, could that be why the HDD LED isnt coming on? I know the HD is powering on, because I can hear it spin when it starts up.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it may explain it, to be honest i don't know, are you using the PSU that came with your case, cos Apevia have apparently not good PSU's, if you have problems in the future then suspect the PSU, a bloody good PSU is: Antec's TP ll or read Big B's PSU sticky for a good PSU, B's da man when it comes to PSU's

8. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

LOL, that is the EXACT PSU I have! So I dont think its the psu's fault. Maybe I'm just freakin out about it, I'll probably just wait till i get my CPU.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

freaky, yeah PSU will be fine (assuming the wattage is quite high)