Front USB problem with ASUS P4P800 MB

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by zeev3467, Jan 9, 2004.

1. zeev3467

zeev3467 Geek Trainee

I have the ASUS P4P800-UAY MotherBoard.
    My ATX Case has front USB connectort, but it has only 4 (x2) wires connected to it - DATA+1, DATA-1, VCC 1, GND 1, DATA+2, DATA-2, VCC 2, GND 2. I guess it supports USB1 and not USB2.
    Is there any way to connect it to the USB_56 & USB_78 pins (I've seen 9 x2 pins with different names)?
    If yes, how & which pins should I use please?
    Thanks in advance,

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I suggest you look in the manual. It should all be written in there.

3. zeev3467

zeev3467 Geek Trainee

Thanks, I did, BUT the Manual speaks of 9 pins (usb+5v, usb_p5-, usb_p5+, GND in the first row, usb+5v, usb_p6-, usb_p6+, GND,NC in the second row).
    Now, my question is - which 4 pins do I use with the 4 pins I have, and which pin goes where? Any1 knows?
    Also, can the MB be harmed if I experiment?
    Edit: I want to try VCC to usb+5v, data-2 to usb_p5-, data+2 to usb_p5+ and GRN to GRN. think it will work?
    Thanks in advance.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I had to do this recently, to use my front usb connectors, I had no manual, so it was matter of looking at the writing on the cables and trying it match the pins on the MB! got it to work after three tries though!

now only if I had a camera to post some close up pictures, which would make it easier for you!

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd try hooking it up so that the 9th pin isn't connected. The only company I've heard of that has had a different pin-out for their motherboards is Gigabyte. No case that I've heard of has an odd USB pin-out. USB is a 4-pin connection, and the 9th pin along with the blocked out 10th pin are there to make sure the USB port goes on correctly.