Full shut down or not??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nwood, Jul 6, 2005.

1. nwood

nwood Geek Trainee

Iv just been building a new system which, apart from 3 minor faults seems to be running perfectly.
    One of these faults is that when I shut down the computer the screen shuts down as normal and all the normal text is displayed(windows is shutting down/logging off, etc) but then the actual machine seems to stay running. The wattage that is used drops from around 170 when the machine is booted to just 90 after I have told it to shut down. This makes me think that there is some sort of feature where part of the machine has shut down but not all, rather like on the enermax power supplies where the fans stay running for 2 minutes after shut down for cooling.

As far as I am aware all the fans and lights stay on including the graphics card fan and cpu heatsink fan.
    I have left my computer in this semi-shutdown state for at least 3 minutes with no effect and have resorted to turning the power off on the switch at the rear of the psu( which is a thermaltake total watts viewer 500w).

Has anyone seen anything like this before and colud please help?
    Thanks.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

thats exatly what my machine does when i put it in standby, screen goes off, but everyting like fans stay on, so sound like instead of shutting down its oging into some sort of standby mode :\

3. nwood

nwood Geek Trainee

Ye Thats it. I just hope its not damaging any componants having to switch it off at the mains all the time but its an annoyance also.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

no it wont damage components, as i always either push the off button on front of my case or turn it off at the mains insted of shutting down normally, becouse just cant be bother to go through all that to turn a computer off, it has not caused any problems as of yet.

but i think eventually it will lead to problems, but not how you turn it off should lead to problems, as windows has allready shut down, try a fresh install of windows, or a repair of windows ;)

5. nwood

nwood Geek Trainee

think ill try a repair then thanks. my problem may be slightly different to yours in that the power button on the front of my case doesnt turn it off, only puts into the same standby mode. The repair sounds like a good idea thanks

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

you can also look through the certain indexes your computer has and you should be able to find the settings for what your computer does after pressing the power button