FX is here!!!

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by phr4gmonk3y, Feb 20, 2003.

1. phr4gmonk3y

phr4gmonk3y Geek Trainee

I just opened my latest issue of Maximum Pc....Alienware is already carrying the GeForce FX. Personally, Im not getting it because I heard that it has some TERRIBLE overheating issues. Anybuddy else seen it? It takes up two fricken' pci slots!! one of 'em is just for the fan!! Also, I heard that it does not hit as many FPS's as the 9700pro. It seems as though ATI is out on top for once. Anyone else know anything about it?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's just the nVidia reference design. Abit will be using a design like what has been seen on their OTES Ti4200's, which does take up the 1st PCI slot, but Chaintech has a much slicker one with 2 fans that runs about half as loud as the reference design (thank god). From what I understand, companies are working on quiter, less bulky solutions for the GFFX cards.

nVidia better becareful however: they bought out the company that didn't get their product out in time---which is the long defunct 3dfx. Do I think nVidia is going out the crapper? No, but I do think they need to be careful. Other than ATi, there's nothing I'd consider a real threat to nVidia's graphics market. Sis? Don't make me laugh. Trident had something they were working on, but I haven't heard much about it other than one Anandtech review awhile back.

ATi has done themselves a big favor by getting their drivers up to par, but they shouldn't slack off.

3. phr4gmonk3y

phr4gmonk3y Geek Trainee

Are you sure about that one pci slot design? I asked the guys at CompUSA and they said the stuff their getting has 2 pci slots. Plus the core will probably still overheat like a bitch. Anyway, I trust you more than the guys at CompUSA, so Ill stick to your answer.

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

It all depends on what card your looking at, most will go with the reference 2 slot design, but companies like Gainward are putting their own cooling solutions on which won't.

5. phr4gmonk3y

phr4gmonk3y Geek Trainee

Ahhh, thanks... Is any one getting this card? I hear that 9700 PRo is a bit better possibly. So, I might just stick with my R3000 core powered card.