Games Controller Pads

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by DavidNW, Apr 16, 2009.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete noob as far as gaming is concerned. Just bought a games controller pad - only a cheap one - 'Tesun' is the make. The pad is installed correctly and appears to be working fine as far as tests in properties are concerned.

I have installed a few games: Nexiuz, Star Trek Elite Force II and a few of the old PC classics, such as Pacman, Asteriods, Frogger, etc.

However, I can only get the games controller to work in Nexiuz (there was an option in the game to use 'joystick'), so that's all right. Star Trek Elite Force II does not have such an option, and thus there is no way to configure a joystick. Pacman, Asteriods, Frogger would be okay for the grandchildren, but the joystick does not work with them either.

Being a noob, I guess I was think that you just plugged the joystick in and you could use it, perhaps with most PC games. I can't help but feel I'm missing something very basic here, but should the joystick work for all these games?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, some games simply don't allow you to control them with a joystick/gamepad at all. In that case, there's not much you can do about it.

As for classic games, any emulators worth using support gamepads. The ones I use most often are Mednafen, ZSNES, ePSXe, Gens, MAME, DOSBox, and ScummVM. All of the above have joystick capabilities. :)

3. J a s o n

J a s o n Geek Trainee

If a game doesn't have built-in game controller support, you can use software to get your controller buttons to simulate keystrokes (and mouse movements). Xpadder is the one I use. It used to be free... not any more. Hm. It has a friendly interface and worked with every game I tried it with, except one racing MMO called Drift City (didn't agree with their anti-cheating security measures).
    Joy2Key performs the same function, for free. I've never used this program myself.
    There are others out there. Hope this helps.