GeForce 6800 vs. GeForce 6800 GT

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by UnSeEn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Ok! If any of you remember, a while back my power supply went out on my computer. Since my b-day was close at hand, we decided to go out and buy a new case, a bunch of parts, etc. and make a whole new computer mostly. Here are the specs for my old computer:

Pentium 4 1.9 Ghz (AGP)
    GeForce 6800 GT AGP video card
    1 gig SDRAM

So, we bought all the parts and we have the computer now (I'll give you the specs), but someone made a mistake (and it wasn't us). We thought we had bought a GeForce 6800 GS on Ebay, which would have been better than my old GeForce 6800 GT. Unfortunately, we got ripped off and recieved a regular GeForce 6800, which definitely isn't as good as the GT or the GS. Now here are the specs of my new computer:

Asus mobo 2.6 Ghz (PCI Express)
    AMD Athlon 64 processor
    1 GB DDR ram
    GeForce 6800 PCI Express video card

I know that PCI Express is much better than AGP, and the new AMD will be much faster than my old Intel, but the crappy video card...taking everything into consideration, how much better will games run on my new system? EVERYTHING else is better about it other than the video card, which is PCI Express and a bit faster than a regular AVG would be. What a piss-off...I was hoping to get a better video card...we're going to contact the company and see what happens. But I need to be able to play some games until then!!
    Thanks.

2. Addis

Addis The King

With your new CPU, mobo and RAM you'll see a great increase in speed. Before your 6800 was being held back by the bottleneck of a CPU.

3. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Ahh indeed! I was just reading about bottlenecks..interesting. I suppose the GeForce 6800 will suffice for now, since it can channel as much power as it wants with my new specs. Thanks for the help! Christ, though, Ebay is great, but it can be quite unreliable...

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ah, real sorry about that dude. This is the key reason never to buy components off ebay, at least not expensive ones. Can't you contact that dude and demand a refund if you ship the card back?
    But if not the 6800 isn't too bad. The PCIe version has 256Mb of vram so that's fine. I'm stuck with the AGP version which is only 128Mb and I notice it. Other than the clockspeeds it's really a pretty good card still. But yeah it's not 6800GT/GS unfortunately.
    As for AGP vs. PCIe. If you had AGP 8x you wouldn't notice a difference in speed between a 6800GT in AGP 8x or in PCIe. But since you had an older motherboard with only AGP 4x there's a fairly major bandwidth upgrade going on here. And between that and actual DDR ram as opposed to the old SD relics I think you'll find things work out for the best. And your processor is loads better so Quake 4 will run fine, you should be able to crank the settings.