Geforce fx 5950 Help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by beretta9m2f, Feb 14, 2004.

1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I recently purchased a msi Geforce fx 5950 and i would like to know if anyone else out there has this card. I'm fairly new to the overclocking world and i would like some help in terms of how to overclock,if i even should, and how far this card can go. It has 2 heat sinks and 2 fans.
    My rig is. Asus P4P8x mobo, 1gig ddr pc 3200 ram, Pentium 4 3.0 ghz.
    Any help would be hightly appreciated. thx :chk:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Overclocking will add to the performance, but with it being a fast card already, I highly doubt you'll be able to tell without doing benchmarks to it. You're looking at a base core/memory speed of 475/950 (in 3D apps) overclocking to around 520-540MHz core/1.02-1.03GHz on the core. HotHardware's review of it showed there are some issues with MSI's overclocking tool, but you can alway's get RivaTuner for your OC needs.

3. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Thanx alot, :good: now my next question is- should i even bother overclocking it? straight out of the box it runs games like Rainbow six raven shield and Call of duty to the fullest with no slowdown @ 1024x768 res quite beautifully.(with antialiasing on 6x for raven shield) Also, it has 2 heatsinks and 2 fans, do i need more to cool this monster?

ps. The msi overclocking tool does suck royally- i have the nvidia drivers for the card so i have the coolbits registry. is that good enough or is the riva better?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The coolbits is enough, but I like Riva Tuner alot better.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Agreed, or you can use drivers with overclocking built right in (which is what I usually do).