gf fx 5200

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by fraggle, Jul 28, 2003.

1. fraggle

fraggle Geek Trainee

i have a problem, well a low 3d mark 2001 se score with a pixelview fx 5200 which i bought because of the price and the priase it got in pcf last month and these two sites showing that it scored well over 9000!

http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Budget_Roundup/index.php?ez=12

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/gffx-4.html

the problem is, i cant get my score over 8000, (7713 to be exact).

i have set the agp to 8x in the bios and set the arpeteture size to 128 aswell. can anyone think why i am getting such a low score?
    the only difference between mine and the one in the reviews above is that theirs came with a couple of game/demo cds. (and their rig was made up of a p4 3gig but this couldnt/shouldnt make such a difference should it?)

epox 8rga+ (nforce2)
    xp 2000
    1gig ram (2x512)
    pixelview gf fx 5200 128ddr (detonator 44.03 dx9)

:stupid:

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I think you answered the question yourself !

I had a 2000+ before with a kt333 board and by changing for an nf2 board with a barton 2500+ gave me a good 1000 point increase.

But if you want a higher score you could try changing drivers. I've read that the 40.72 dets are very good. Sometimes the newest drivers don't necessarily give the best eprformance.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

They're also using a 3.06GHz P4 with a dual-channel DDR motherboard. While the 5200 is not the fastest, the CPU seems to be bottlenecked a bit by the slower CPU, and likely the reason for the score difference.
    http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectsearch
    Plugging in the CPU type, speed and what video card you're using. From that, your score seems to be on the higher end for your hardware.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

If you wanna crack 9000 you could lower your driver settings from best quality to blend, the intellisample setting to high performance (this setting doesnt seem to do anything anyway), no AA.
    Then in 3d mark 2001, 1024x768x16 You should reach 9000 easy.

Ive played with these no end, you will probably have a few I havent got... but what Ive said here will make 9000 im sure.

If you wanna get your highest possible score just put all the driver settings on performance and 3d mark resolution at 640x480x16. Id imagine you will get 10,000, maybe more.

People dont really go on about that card much but it seems well worth the money.
    I bought the bottom of the range GF4 when the 4200,4600,4800 came out, it was £100, this is £50. Proportionally compared to mine when I got my mx420, that card is a good buy!

5. fraggle

fraggle Geek Trainee

cheers guys, i followed zeus's advice and managed a score of 8418, i didn't try 640 x 480 x 16 though, as that seemed too much like cheating as i would never use those settings! lol. and as i came from a gf 2 mx 400 scoring 2659, 8418 keeps me happy enough ..... for now! lol thanks again

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah the 640x480 thing really is cheating.

The standard for the benchmark is 1024x768x32, I run mine at 1024x768x16 though cos that is the setting I normally use.

Did you try setting the quality to best performance/lowest quality?
    It seems that it still renders at best quality but the distance it renders at that quality is alot shorter. But it isnt as good as blend.
    Im surprised you didnt hit 9000, but its still more than enough to play todays games well.

7. fraggle

fraggle Geek Trainee

yeah i tried all the performance options, all set to best perf. I'm even more happy with this card tonight, ive connected it to my tv so i can watch dvds without having to connect my dusty old PS2! (but absolutly none of the divx/xvid rips that nobody ever gets hold of! lol)

8. zeus

zeus out of date