GigaByte Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Girtho961, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Is there any internet connections that even run 1000 mbps.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

i dont know if they run Gigabit but usually office networks and schools run anywhere from 5-20Mbps connections, maybe even a little bit faster!
    Feel free to correct me anyone.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

At this point, no, there are no Internet Gigabit connections. Who knows what'll happen in the future, but as of right now, no.

Gigabit connections are used in internal networks, but aren't necessarily needed for most people. However, if it can be marketed, it will be, much like dual NIC's on motherboards.

4. Addis

Addis The King

The fastest connection that will be viable for consumers is probably VDSL, but that goes nowhere near gigabit speeds. IAPs do, but they're not for consumers.

5. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Hi m8 theres no internet that fast yet however gigabit networks are good for fast file transfer between computers or to supply a room full of computers with internet it rare that just computers or clients are linked by gigabit connections because its not cost effective they usually use the standard 10/100mbs cards which is sufficent. i hope this helps Dave :cool:

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i heard they had gigabit connections in tokyo or hong kong

7. Glenn631

Glenn631 Geek Trainee

High Speed Gigabit Ethernet is available in the US at buildings known as "lit" by the major telecom service providers. You can find Gigabit Ethernet locations by using a new search tool at Ethernet Finder ...enter the address of your building and see a map of your location with nearby buildings that have been "lit" with Gigabit Ethernet.

8. manishkumar

manishkumar Geek Trainee

site has more than telecom articles

9. manishkumar

manishkumar Geek Trainee