Girl assaulted, then sues Myspace

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Read the following at Inquirer. Now as much as I hate Myspace, and as much as I want to plant high energy explosives in their server rooms, I don't agree with the reasoning behind this.

A 14 YEAR-OLD girl who claimed she was sexually assaulted by a man she met on MySpace.com has launched a $30 million lawsuit against its operators.

The lawsuit is critical of the fact Myspace does not verify the age of its users and calls measures in place to stop grizly old geezers grooming sweet young things as "utterly ineffective." The suit alleges Myspace fails in its duty to protect minors.

A lawyer representing the girl's family told reporters, "MySpace is more concerned about making money than protecting children online."

The girl and her family filed the suit against Myspace owner News Corp as well as the 19 year-old accused of fiddling with her.

The girl gave out her mobile phone number to the bloke after she met him on the site. She says that after the pair went out one time to see a film and have a bite to eat, he drove her to a car park and sexually assaulted her.

And that's Myspace's fault. ยต

Pretty much agree with Inq there. Next we'll see people sueing email companies for the same "offence". The full story is here: Teen, mom sue MySpace.com for $30 million

Why is it that after all the warnings and compaigns to educate teenagers about web safety, they still continue to do this? Something done in their good interest and they continue to ignore it. It's just stupid.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree. It's frivolous lawsuits like this that make our justice system a joke. Should they go after the guy that allegedly did this? Definitely. After MySpace? No. Without something like a credit card number (to verify someone is at least 18) or some ID code from a state or federal ID card, it's going to be tough. If this were to win, this could bode bad news all the way around. Technically, you have to be 13 years old to register here last time I checked. We don't have, nor really have a reasonable way to enforce this.

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

While I'm not saying that sexual assault is ok at all, what parent would just let there 14 year old daughter go on a date with some random guy that she met on myspace. Even if I was willing to let her go on a date with him at all, it would be after I had met him and spent time with him a couple times as a group. There is no way I would trust a 19 year old with my daughter without knowing that I can trust him. As far as the myspace age thing goes, I think that it has gotten out of hand and they SHOULD do something about age verification... not to mention that more parents need to be aware of what their kids are doing.
    I read somewhere else that his profile said he was 18... what's the big difference, it's still illegal to do that sort of stuff to minors. And do you think that if she heard he was 19 and not a football player it would have stopped her from going out with him. How is myspace responsible for a young girl being irresponsible? There are sites online that show you how to make small (and large) homemade bombs. If I make one of these and set it off while holding it in my hand, can I sue the website for not coming to my house to make sure I'm not an idiot? I hope not.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Anybody fancy going to watch a film this weekend, I'll drive, you can pay!

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

What a load of :swear: . There's no hope for then next generation (eg me)

And I'd love to go and see a film ;)

6. Addis

Addis The King

The fact is many of the parents don't know what is happening, they don't even know their children are using social networking websites. So as much as this is a parent's responsibility, and obviously the person who assaulted the girl, everyone knows really who must also take some of the blame.

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

What is this to do with your hope? Do you have a website or you are taking out somebody or you are realy a teenager?

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Myspace have responded by tightening age restrictions.

Check out this BBC article for more info

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

IN THE NEWS:

Telecom sued for allowing minors to receive phone calls from adults unmonitored; CIA to become involved. Activist groups enraged! Parents baffled -- "What can we do? The humanity!"

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

wtf?

-----

and I totally agree with everything said so far. People should really start taking responsibility for their own stupid actions/kids own stupid actions, and not just trying to get rich quick on a flimsy law suit.

I expect it will go to court and then get dropped, but IMO it shouldn't get so far as that. But if it did make myspace go bankrupt (ha) that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

AT: funny guy :D

11. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

LOL AT! Man you are funny....

As for the actual artical, I really do not know what to say.
    I would not know where to begin. The world has gone utterly bonckers..... :eek:
    Maybe suit the car park operator for not asking for marriage certificates and proof of ID? :swear: me.....