Giving up on gaming...

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by extreme4377, Oct 9, 2004.

1. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

I'm done. Games just arent fun anymore. After playing the Doom3 demo and not enjoying it, I consulted my buddy PaiN and we both decided its time for me to hang up the mouse and keyboard.

Ya, Doom3 was kinda creepy in some parts, but it just wasnt fun. Its the same thing as every other game, just new monsters and new sounds. Speaking of sounds, I thought the sound of Doom3 was supposed to be incredible...I must be deaf because Im still listening for the amazing parts. I know its not really fair to judge a game based on the demo, but thats what youre supposed to do, judge it and see if its worth dropping the 50 bucks, 55 in this case, for the game.

FarCry didnt even effect me, infact, I never finished the game. It was buggy, sluggish even with my machine, and MP support just plane old sucked.

So, I guess Im done. Maybe, quite possibly, when HL2 comes out, if it ever does, Ill give that a try....but I doubt it.

Have fun everyone. Im signing off as a gamer :hi2:

BTW, anyone want my system? ;)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I liked D00M 3 personally, but I've been noticing a real trend of "Hey, look at the graphics we have here!" and a lack of attention to actual play. I saw a real poor lineup with the new Unreal 2 engine...at least up until UT2004 came out. Unreal 2, UT2003, and Deus Ex: Invisible War were simply not fun. U2 and DXIW were awfully short for the amount of space they took up, not to mention they ran like crap on even high-end hardware and that, most importantly, they weren't fun. UT2003 looked good, but it wasn't fun and didn't feel at all like the original UT. UT2004, at least from the demo, feels alot like the orginal, but with updated graphics.

I happen to be a fan of single-player FPS, and after FarCry, D00M 3 was the first FPS I played and wasn't disappointed by after the 2nd or 3rd level. Actually, nothing in it really disappointed me, but I can see where people who don't like it are coming from.

Far Cry actually gave me hope that someone knew how to make something that looked good and was fun.

3. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

I liked Unreal2 a lot. One of my favorite FPS. I started replaying it but never had time to continue.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Far Cry sluggish on your machine?! A 6800GT?!

My rig is about 60% of what yours is, and I can get it to play on 1600x1200 max everything, with still above 25FPS.

Dude you got PC problems, lol!

5. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Were you playing with full AA/AF? Thats the reason it was sluggish. I played at 1280x1024, in game settings maxed with 2x/4x AA AF

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

hm good point. I was playing with 8x af, but no anti aliasing.

7. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

ya, big difference lol. Your system isnt that bad tho. 9800Pro is a powerful card

8. Addis

Addis The King

I've not been on any FPs game since July. I can't wait to get started again. I've only got the demo of UT2k3 and i must admit its not the same as the original which i have the full version. Better graphic yes, but assault was good back then. But 2k3 did run well on low-mid range systems reasonably well. As for anything else Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was my favourite but it put a lot of stress on the graphics card, even though it doens't look that great.

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

my pro card may be able to handle doom 3 on ultra with 30fps +, but it still don't get more than 10,000 benchmark points...

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well you should get at least 15k in 3dmark2k1 and between 5k and 6k in 3dmark2k3. and even more than that actually.

I played Doom3 with that card, with a barton 2500+ oced to 3200+ @10x7 on high settings, with all the options turned on (no AA or AF enabled through the control panel)

I don't think your card will handle ultra settings, unless you lower the resolution, buy more RAM and can live with stuttering.

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

nah it don't stutter. It reads that it's on ultra high, but I don't think it is, as the quality doesn't look all that "next gen".

I'll try the test again and see what I get this time.

12. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

My card handled D3 perfectly fine at 16x12 on ultra quality. I just didnt think that it looked much better than high and even then it didnt look that amazing. I think seeing all the screen shots and movies etc. made me "immune" to the "amazing" graphics

13. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

i actually thought that Far Cry's character models, and certainly environments looked a hell of a lot better than D3.

Hopefully Half Life 2 will have great everything.

14. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Ya, FarCry was pretty schweet until you got to level two and became bored out of your mind because you were doing identical things as compared to level one. The game was very predictable too...

15. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

really?

..and we both decided its time for me to hang up the mouse and keyboard...

I think you could be right! I thought Far Cry was one of the best games I ever played, and I'm still not bored of it, and i got it 1st day it came out.

Oh wait. I have no life....:p

EDIT: UPDATE on 3dMark2k1. My new score is 16667. Considering my last one was around 10,000, I'm happy!

16. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Yup, Im done...