Good free Spyware program?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Exfoliate, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Does anyone know of any quality spyware prevention/cleaning programs out there that are free? Idealy ones that you use. I just downloaded spybot's latest version of it's critically acclaimed spyware program (the sucessor to Spybot Search and Destroy) only to find out that I needed to register, and pay to actually do anything about the spyware it detected:doh: :x:
    Anway I downloaded Spyware Terminator from Softpedia but I'm not impressed, it only detected 12 items opposed to Spybots 52 and didnt' repair many of them either, particularly a stupid IE popup message that comes out of nowhere every few hours 4 times in a row:mad:
    Any thoughts? And please try not to suggest trialware, I'm looking for a good long term freebie.

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Lavasoft Adaware SE Personal Edition

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks dude, I'll check it out.

4. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

I use Spybot Search and destroy along with Adaware 6 ! Adaware's adwatch blocks allmost everything , and if something sneaks in S&D gets rid of it if Adaware cant , which isnt very often !!! Both are free !!!

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Unless I'm missing something spybot isn't free anymore. When I used to use it, it was but now you need to register and pay to get rid of any spyware. But thanks about the adware tip mate:good:

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Adaware's Adwatch isn't free either - It's only included in the Professional version.

But just to recap, Adaware is pretty much all you need.

7. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

Spybot isnt free anymore? Since when? Does that mean that to update i will have to pay?

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Could be, I used this site The Official SPYWAREBOT.COM : Scan & Remove Spyware: : and it say's 100% free scan which appears to be a clever way of making people think it's free when in fact they can download and scan their computer for nothing but to actually do anything about it you need to register and pay like $40 or something. I remember when it's was totally free and they had a different greyish theme going on with the program. Now I guess they've make updates and felt it warrented a price.

9. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

I just used the update feature for Spybot S&D and then ran the program and there was nothing about paying !! Just the usual make a donation if you want tab at the bottom !! This is were i got mine from - 'Safer Networking limited - Spybot S&D 1.4' ???? The web site says it IS freeware !!!!! Hope that helps ??

Mega is right about Adaware Pro , my mistake !!!!! Try getting your hands on a copy IF you can !!!!!!

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Weird dude, I'll check it out but the site I liked definatley made me pay to clean up my spyware. Thanks for all the help guys.

11. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

If they are trying to make u pay to remove it maybe the program itself is spyware? My grandparents had this thing that kept popping up by the system tray that said the had spyware and tried to make u pay to download soemthing to get rid of it.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah it's weird they'd do that but if it's coming from their site itself I'd hope not.