Good idea?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by WWR, Feb 17, 2005.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Well I found out that I need a new CPU fan, my CPU was reaching temps of 55-60 degrees C and in some extreme cases up to 77 degrees!

So on advice of my friend I have decided to get a new CPU cooling system, consisting of a ThermalRight XP-90 Heatsink, a 92mm YS-Tech fan and some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound.

Have I made a good choice or have I just got myself into even hotter water than my CPU would make?

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

If your not overclocking, and your set all that hardware up properly, ie its all seated properly and the air flow has the correct directional flow, then you should NOT get above 40C Idle or Load.

Thats some seriously good cooling gear :) I would have gone for the XP-120 tho, unless your motherboard isnt compatible and i would have gone for a 92mm panaflo fan, as YS tech are abit loud for my liking.

3. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I checked but my motherboard isn't compatible with the XP-120, pity really. I would have gotten a panaflo fan (recommended by ThermalRight themselves) but overclockers.co.uk doesn't supply panaflo and I wanted it all in one order to reduce shipping costs.

I haven't overclocked at all (impossible for my mobo), the air flow could have something to do with it, but I've got a stream of air going through the PC as well as my Fan Card blowing air up and down at the same time... either that or I've put the PC fans in the wrong way round. :eek:

*edit*

Just looked inside the case and I've got my case fans wrongly set, I'm not sure which one but I've either got both sets blowing into the case or both sets blowing out of the case, either way I need to turn one set around. :ah:

*edit again*

Turned one of the sets of fans around so should have a stream of air going through the case now, but the CPU temp is still 50-60 degrees, a fault which I personally put down to my old cooler (originally shipped with my old Celeron 2.4ghz) not being powerful enough to cool the CPU (now a P4HT Northwood 3ghz).

In retrospect I should have taken my friend's advice to buy a new cooler with the CPU.

4. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

yea thats sounds a good rig up to me a and artic silvers a good thermal compound to use if i was u i would donload some temperature monitering software so you can see what the temperatures read when it idling and under load this is more of and effecient way of what it tell you in bios. hope this helps Dave :good:

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I've got Everest professional, tells me the temps of my mobo, CPU, hard drives, it even tells me what speed my CPU fan is running at. I want my cpu (ideally) to be a similar temp to my hard drives (around 20 degrees)

6. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Just an update, the XP-90 is running fantastically and my CPU temp is all the way down to 25-27degrees C :good: