good programming books

Discussion in 'IT Careers and Certification' started by willyfromnc, Jul 28, 2006.

1. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

Are there any good books about programming and stuff like that?

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Check this site out.

Depends which programming you wants to learn..

3. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

Check this site out.

like i dont know basic stuff like i dont know wherever its not so hard to learn. So then, i can go up and do more advance stuff.

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Check this site out.

You could start out by learning something not too hard like Visual Basic (I only ever learnt a bit of that, and that was when I was 8). I am now learning to programme C# using a book called C# for dummies, which has been easy to follow.

There are 2 books I would recommend, <Your chosen language> in easy steps and <Your chosen language> for dummies. Both series of books are very good and they publish a book for a lot of programming languages.

5. Addis

Addis The King

In my opinion, the best programming language to start off with is C++. Learning it from scratch can be a bit less cryptic than say, C, but it gives you an excellent foundation for programming.

C/C++ is used to program a huge variety of things, and is much more versatile than Visual Basic, Delphi, C# (C# is MS only development, C++ is cross platform) and even Java.

I'd stay away from Java for the beginning, it's not a great language.

Jeff Kent's C++ Demystified was excellent when I read it, it leads you in nicely, and then you can get a more advanced book when you have the fundamentals grasped. A more advanced book to try out after that would be Sams Teach Yourself C++, in 24 hours or the 21 days version.

Visual programming languages are deceptive, they require a firm understanding of the language behind it to do anything really useful and don't really teach you much.