Google Announces Open Source Repository

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Impotence, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

" PORTLAND, Ore. -- Google is scheduled to announce hosting for open source projects on Google Code today during Greg Stein's talk at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON).

Stein, an open source engineer with Google and chairman of the Apache Software Foundation, will be disclosing the new service officially at his talk "A Google Service for the Open Source Community," scheduled for 1:45 p.m. PDT today.

I sat down yesterday with Stein and Google's open source program manager Chris DiBona, who describe the service as similar to SourceForge.net and other community hosting projects, but not designed to compete with those projects.

Stein says, "We really like SourceForge, and we don't want to hurt SourceForge" or take away projects. Instead, Stein says that the goal is to see what Google can do with the Google infrastructure, to provide an alternative for open source projects.... " Continued on NewsForce

Google's Offering: Google Code - Project Hosting
    NewsForge Article: NewsForge | Google announces hosting for open source projects

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I would like to make a "Hello World" program for the google :D

3. Addis

Addis The King

I got an invitation for EuroOSCON, but it was around €600 for student admission. Stuff that.

Nice work from Google.