Got A Virus,.... any Free way of remove it,....

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mack, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Hi,
    I just recently heard about the AVG free Anti-Virus software, so i downloaded it and scanned my computer. The results showed that I had about 200 files infected with a Virus called "Win32/Parite". Unforunately, AVG cannot remove this virus. I couldn't manage to update AVG as my Dialup software was also infected and wouldn't go online. I don't think AVG could fix it anyway.
    So, i wanted to check if anybody knows any anti virus software (Free) which could get rid of this virus.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Good call, B. Also, there's always ClamWin. ClamWin is a free, open-source antivirus project which also has free regular virus-pattern updates. It's very professional, and I've already deployed it on a few clients' systems. No virii so far! :good:

4. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Results

Well, I have tried all three of them and the following are the results:

Virus name: win32/parite.A

AVG:
    Detected the Virus but wasn't able to clean it.

Winclam:
    Didn't even detect the Virus.

House call:
    Detected and cleaned all files except one.
    (it was a .temp file, so it deleted it.)

5. Anti-Trend

Good to know! Thanks for the follow-through. Trend-Micro PCCillin is indeed an excellent antivirus, I'd recommend it if you can afford it.

6. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I thought Norton was the best anti Virus Software.

7. Anti-Trend

Hmmm, nope, not even close. :)

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

NAV- "hey dude..youve got a pretty bad little virus here...*sips coffee* you umm uhh...er...might wanna do something about it maybe not i dunno."

9. Mack

Mack Big Geek

The virus is gone now,.....

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Norton is the de facto standard in anti-virus programs, just like Adaptec is the standard when it comes to SCSI controllers. That doesn't mean they're the best though.

11. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Popup's

Hi,
    Sorry guys,....... I have got another problem. I Just got DSL ( Which i don't know how to turn off). I am getting a lot of Popups. Any good (free) popup blocker you guys know about?
    Appreciate any help

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While WinXP's Service Pack 2 is out, I'd still go get a different browser altogether. I'm using Firefox from Mozilla. It's free and has built in popup blocking. You can import your bookmarks from IE, so you don't have to go through and redo all of them.

13. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

14. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Hi,
    I tried the yahoo and msn toolbar, which weren't very helpful, so I am doubtful about the Google Toolbar. I will try the Mozilla and let you guys know about it.
    There is one thing I don't get, even if I haven't opened the internet exploere, still i would have windows poping all around me. Could this be like a spy or ad ware problem. I have adware problem before like imesh and kazaa but i have uninstalled them now.

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah. Alot of P2P software comes with some spyware. Use Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware.

16. Anti-Trend

Are you talking about MS Messenger popups? Not to be confused with MSN Messenger. :p If that's what you're talking about, you can turn that feature of Windows off by simply running this [grc.com] tiny patch. You'll probably also want these two also.

P.S. - If your messenger service is exposed, you're not running a firewall. Get one! ;)

17. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I meant popups from exploerer.
    Just checked my PC via Ad Aware, found lots of bugs which now have been removed. Till now everything looks good.

18. Anti-Trend

Good job :good:

19. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

hehehe....on a gateway we have i removed 16 trojan's with trend micro house call which NAV didnt even recongize, 400+ items with adaware, the 50+ items with spybot. Runs a lot more stable