Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas now rated AO By the ESRB

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Cooper, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20050720005870&newsLang=en

The popular GTA game earlier this month was found to have some code of the sex minigame, "Hot Coffee". Developer Rockstar took it out of the main game and left the code in, but with the help of a cheat device, you could access the game. The ESRB soon found out, and changed the rating from Mature to Adults Only. Most US game stores refuse to carry AO games, pretty much putting a deathwish on GTA's sales.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I'll just..."aquire" myself a copy.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Jeeze, so much for that game, shame really.

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

every store here has AO, the guy game is literally off the shelves haha, sales are flying haha

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Reminds me of the days of old with the fabled cheat for Tomb Raider 2 (or perhaps 3, I forget) to make Lara naked for the whole game, not that you got to see much as 99% of the game was spent with the camera behind her. My friend actually did the code on my old Action Replay card. That was fun for about 5 seconds.

But many games here carry Adult Only games, but they're WAY up on the top shelves so you can barely see them, much less reach them without making an ass of yourself and asking a staff member. Most recent one is that new Leisure Suit Larry game, Magna Cum Larde Uncut I think the title is.

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

haha I can reach :D and no doub ex will be able to if the need arises. Us over 6 and a half feet giants have no problem with these puny obstacles.

Its fantastic that the game becomes AO about a year after everyone buys it. Yes, its only the PC version, but every under age that is gonna play it has already played it.

They should stop worrying about stuff like that and concentrate on the real problems in the world..who gives a crap about animated sex when there are millions dying each day, not to mention all the explicit sites.

:eek:

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Oh I can reach too, just England is full of midgets. :p

[RANT]It's amazing though that more attention is paid to explicit material than poverty or diseases. If everyone put as much effort into ending poverty/disease as they did censoring games/tv/movies then the world would be a much better place.[/RANT]

8. Addis

Addis The King

Who says the minigame is a bad thing? If I had it I wouldn't be complaining. How old do you have to be to buy an AO game? We don't havve such ratings here, you can buy games like 7 Sins, LSL and Playboy Mansion etc here as long as your 18. Simple.

9. syngod

syngod Moderator

They've supposedly unlocked the mini games in the PS2 version too using an Action Replay, so I'm guessing it will go AO as well.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I think AO is supposed to be 18+, which doesn't make much sence as how much more "mature" is a 18 year old over a 17 y/o? Just like R and NC-17. Playboy Mansion is pretty soft core, plenty of "up-stairs" but nothing more. Leisure Suit Larry Uncut even isn't really that bad, it's all stylized and silly so I could hardly call it explicit. I've never come across a game that really pushed the sex limet, can't imagine one coming by anytime soon either.
    Heh, yeah I remember that TomeRaider code myself, but when shes only made up of a few hundred poly's it's not too stimulating. Just about evey game with a gal is bound to have some code like that, Max Payne even, for all of you blokes that wanted to see Mona in the buff.
    Yeah us tall guys have it good;), of course I don't have any store in my area that carries those titles anyway to make use of this gift:(

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

ex, haha no matter what we still get our hands on these games, im 15 and have doom3 to like farcry, and all are 18+, no ones really gonna follow this law, like the other ESRB laws

12. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

zRock, you wouldn't be able to buy Doom3 here. Whenever someone goes to the counter with Doom3 they're instantly asked for ID unless they're obviously over 18.

Some places in my area are more strict than others, GAME can be strict depending on the game, Virgin don't care, HMV just ask but don't want ID, gamestation think everyone is over 18 when it comes to buying games.

The only kind of games that are largely explicit are Hentai games, where it's all cartoon sex done to the same quality as Hentai movies/pics/comics. That's depending on your preference though, but there has yet to be a normal kind of game with content that detailed and explicit. Probably be some kind of riot if it was released. :p

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Doom 3 and FarCry are 18+? Thought they were M, as in 17+. Must be different in Jersey. Yeah you're right about that, unless you shop at Walmart you can usually find the titles somewhere, online especially. Speaking of Walmart they asked my bro (who's about 6'7" like me and is all mascaline and unshaven, looks over 17 to say the least) to show them his ID so he could buy the Doom Collectors Edition. No, not Doom 3, we're talking about the old Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom stuff of the mid 90's. So they think a 16 year old just couldn't handle a choppy burst of 10 red pixels? They should do a bit of revising on these titles I imagine. Well fortunatly he's 18 so we lived on some nastalgia for a little while at my friends house.

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

im in new jersey guys, everythings possible haha, yeah gamestop, never asked for id, just took my money and gave me the games

i bought all of them together with HL2 also haha, still got the receipt.

btw,WWR do you have a purevolume site?

15. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

See, we have different ratings over here than you do, we don't really use letters unless it's a film. For films we get Uc (meant for children), U (Suitable for anyone), PG (Parental Guidance) then it's 12, 15 and 18. For games you get the 12, 15 or 18 and if it's below that they tend not to bother putting a rating on it.

Oddly enough I don't own a single 18 game for a console, just plenty for the PC. :D

zRock, nah, don't have a purevolume site at all.

16. Addis

Addis The King

Never heard of putting games on higher shelves. Game shops put it anywhere, in the reach of little toddlers.
    I can't have really explicit or extremely violent games because of a 7 year old bro in the house, and he looks through all of my stuff. If he finds a game, he'll ask to play, and won't stop until he does.

17. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I have that problem with my nephew, he sees games like Resident Evil on the Gamecube and wants to play them, but I'll only let him play Starfox Adventures, which is pointless because he gets me to 'help' him all the time. By help I mean when he gets stuck he gives me the joypad and leaves me playing the game while he watches even when I get past that bit he refuses to play it... kids...

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Give that boy some more selection mate;), the gamecube really is the cosole of censorship, will all those Mario/DonkeyKong/Zelda type games out there you can usually entertain you're youngin's without worrying about the level of explicit content, whatever that may be.