graphics card for ubuntu 7.10

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Runner7775, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

I have an old computer that i am going to dual boot windows 98(older game compatibility) and ubuntu7.10. I should mention the computer is has a 450 mhz p3 or p2 and 512 ram. I have a 22 inch 1680x1050 monitor that is going to be connected to it and my newer computer. I need a pci(yes pci not pci-e) video card that is capable of running with windows 98 and ubuntu and will allow me to run compiz (hopefully) and windows 98 in widescreen(losing hope on that one). the real problem is if I get a newer card such as a pci radeon x1550 it is not supported for windows 98 but it is for linux.
    Newegg has these:
    geForce 6200-i dont know about its linux or windows 98 compatibility
    radeon 7000-does have win 98 comp. but i dont know about ubuntu compatibility or performance
    radeon 9250-cheap but have seen problems on forums about linux comppatibility
    radeon x1550-im sure runs fine in linux but win 98 is questionable
    Are there other better ones?
    And i wanted to re ask a question i had earlier. Does windos 98 support widescreen? Or is it more of a driver thing where support is dependant upon whether they write it into the driver support?
    I know this is a lot but thanks for all your guys help.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

The following cards should work fine:

- All Geforce cards
    - Ati graphics cards. Radeon cards from X1000 and up don't have hardware acceleration because of the bad ATI drivers. Getting 3D support running for these series can be a painful process. If you need to install basic support for these cards, use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx

3. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

quick question do you think that the radeon 7000 will give smooth compiz performance?

4. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

Or should i go with the more powerfull geforce 6200?
    radeon 7000 i can get for $20 though

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I think it'll run smoothly on a radeon 7000, but only when you set the graphics quality to low or medium. It runs slow with a geforce 5600FX when set to high quality.

6. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

ok i think im going with a 6200 bc of its directx 9 support even though ill probably never take advantage of it. I should give me ok compiz performance thanks man

7. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I couldnt get it to work with my BFG 8800gts oc2 320mb , my MSI 6800gt 128mb or an old pixelview 5200fx 128mb.

The only card in my possesion that works straight from the install is an old Geforce3ti 64 meg!

8. Addis

Addis The King

you should use the restricted drivers manager with Ubuntu post 7.04, since it handles these drivers and their respective configuration stages well.

9. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

well ill check the ubunut forums on 6200 support
    i was going to get a real cheap radeon 9250 but i found countless post online about people haveing to really hack into it to get it to work

10. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

oh yeah, the nvidia web site does have drivers for linux that support the 6200 so i should be able to get it to work

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The Nvidia card will work perfectly, as long as you use the Nvidia binaries.

EDIT: I didn't notice the "450 mhz p3 or p2 and 512 ram" part of your first post... That probably means you have AGP v1.0 capabilities only. A video card of that caliber is not going to be available for anything under AGP 3.0, and even that's obsolete at this point. If I were you, I would not try to upgrade a machine of that grade at all, but would install a lightweight distro and use it for basic functions only. Internet access, SSH, etc. Even then I wouldn't allow an OS like Windows 98 on the Internet at all, since it has vulnerabilities that will never be patched and cannot be protected effectively.

That hardware will run a lightweight desktop such as Xfce or WM very well, but a distro like Ubuntu running Gnome is quite the opposite of lightweight. It's certainly not going to run anything like Compiz-Fusion well, especially since video upgrades are basically out of the question. Maybe it's time to retire that box to a secondary position on your network, and instead put your time and money into building a new PC. Sorry to be a downer, but just trying to give you my honest advice.

12. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

Well the thing is, once again i am using the computer for legacy gaming(win95-98)(i will install a firewall before hooking win 98 to the web and will be using firefox if i even connect it) and real use with ubuntu. i already purchased a cheap pci version of the geforce 6200 and have run ubuntu satisfactorily with a 433 mhz celeron with 512 ram. And I have a copy of xubuntu 7.10. One last question though, if i really wanted to could i run compiz along with xfce in xubuntu?

13. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

oh yeah i do have a decent pentium m laptop and a new computer in progress so i do have a computer to use so the old legacy gaming computer is really not necessary but i think its cool. Don't get me wrong Anti-trend thanks for your advice, it will be used.

14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You could run it, though some effects are still a little CPU hungry. With some experimentation though, I'm sure you could still get some pretty effects. I definitely recommend just about any desktop environment other than Gnome though, since it's the single most bloated desktop for a Unix-like OS. KDE with the effects turned off would be better if you want a very feature-rich environment. Of course, something even lighter like Xfce or WM, IceWM, fluxbox, etc. would be more ideal for a CPU that low-end. :)

I'm pretty pragmatic about these things though. Still, I can afford to be, since I still do about 50% of my daily chores via good ol' BASH. And for the record, I use KDE, but my system specs are a little different. :D If I had a P2 desktop around, it'd run fluxbox or WM for certain.

15. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

cool ill look into that thanks anti-trend

16. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

hehe maybe the reason i think ubuntu runs ok on a 433 mhz is because it was faster than windows xp

17. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

Alright same computer, new problem. I install ubuntu 7.10 and when it reboots after installation i get a grub 18 error. The bios is 1999 and that is causing this problem so there is one solution which involves creating a partition that is contained within the first 1023 cylinders of the drive in which to make a /boot partition containing the kernel. how would i go about doing this in the installation?

18. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I would suggest that you install OpenSUSE 10.3 and that should sort all of your problems!