graphics card upgrade advice

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by thecleaner001, Mar 16, 2006.

1. thecleaner001

thecleaner001 Geek Trainee

hey people, i have a choice of either having a AGP or PCI graphics card.

which interface would you recommend (for gaming)

thanks a million:D

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

agp for the win

3. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

go with AGP, if it were pci Express it'd be a different story, but between regular PCI and AGP, AGP is faster and probably more readily available, i haven't seen too many pci graphics cards, and when i do they're usually the low low low end crappy ones. geforce fx 5200 in pci format?...hell no i'd rather put a twix chocolate bar in my pc than that thing....

4. thecleaner001

thecleaner001 Geek Trainee

lol, think i`ll pass on the twix, but thanks on the info :cool:

5. AaManiac

AaManiac Geek Trainee

I have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (64MB) in my Dell Inspirion 5150
    Not too sure what interface it is (pci, AGP) but other thant the over heating threath I constantly face using a laptop I find that it is a good card to use while gaming....

Could anyone give a quick intel dump on the types of cards out there on the market; pci, AGP, etc... I'm looking to build a rig here in few weeks and I'd figure i'd start with the piece of hardware I know the least about....
    Thanks to all who reply...

-Maniac

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

AGP over PCI---AGP. PCIe over AGP? No, PCIe.

PCI: 32-bit, 33MHz bus (where the total bandwith is shared between all devices using the bus), equalling 133MB/s peak transfer rate.
    AGP: 32-bit, 66MHz (at AGP 1x, multiply 66MHz by AGP tranfer speed), running at 266MHz, with a single device (i.e. an AGP video card) on it's bus. AGP is simply a specialty higher-clocked PCI slot.
    PCIe (PCI Express, denoted as either PCIe or PCI-E, do not use PCI-X---it's a different interface) is a serial (point-to-point, no sharing) technology, consisting of lanes coming from the chipset. Each lane runs at 500MB/s, and is to replace the PCI bus. PCIe slots are labled x1, x2, x4, and x16, which state the number of lanes going to the PCIe slot. The shortest PCIe slots are x1, while x16 slots are the longest.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

put simply AGP