Graphics Recommendation

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Chelski, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

Hi people, just wondering whats a good agp graphics card brilliant for gaming but not too pricey like some are, but good enought to do the job like most other pricey ones?

-Chelski-

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

7600GT if there is one for AGP? although the X800XT from ATi is awsome for the price, if you can still find it, there about £120 and not much more for the X850XT.

3. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

The X800XT looks nice and a nice price, will this suite my gaming needs nicely?? :D will it play all games nicely?

4. Willz

I have it, when i had 1gb of ram, it played F.E.A.R on nearly max settings, but then again, i could cope with abit of choppyness, you will need to find it now, i dont think you will find one.

I am not sure, but the 7600GT (AGP) may perform better than a X800XT, but you will have to check on that, someone else on the forum may know :)

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 7600GT is getting pretty common these days for AGP so you'll probably have better luck finding it cheap. However this is where things get a bit interesting. The 7600GT is newer technology and therefore supports newer graphical features that the X800XT series don't in most games. The 7600GT can do ture HDR lighting and soft shadows while the the X800XT generally can't pull it off (a select few games emulate this effect for cards without the ability). So in that regard it's a more future proofing plan as you'll be able to turn on the next gen bells and whistles.

However in most games the X800XT is faster, often by just a few fps but in several cases by a good margin. Granted this may have something to do with the fact that the tests run on the cards aren't taking into account that by enabling HDR lighting on the 7600GT and not on the X800XT (because it doesn't work) the results will be a bit skewed but for the most part the XT does out muscle the GT anyway.

So if it's pure speed you're concerned with then I'd go X800XT but if you want good speed and all the features go with the 7600GT. It'll still run all games pretty well maxed with the exception of Oblivion and some upcomming games like Unreal Tournament 2007. If you have any specific games in mind that you'd like to know will run on either card just ask:)

6. Willz

oh yea, if your planning on playing Unreal Tournament 2007, dont buy a card yet, wait and get something better, the graphics are amazing, and i douby my card wont run it on any settings that are to a good standard.