HD 4850: Running at PCI-E x8/x4 instead of x16, Help wanted!

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Hypernon, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Hypernon

Hypernon Geek Trainee

So I realised that my HD 4850 wasn't performing as well as it should be so I loaded up GPU-Z to find the problem. It turns out that the Bus Interface was PCI-E x16 @ x1. Knowing possible fixes to this problem already, I opened up my case and cleaned out my PCI-E slot. I rebooted and ran GPU-Z again. This time it said PCI-E x16 @ x4. Figuring that it was solely a dust problem I cleaned my slot again, and this time GPU-Z gave me PCI-E x16 @ x8. I've cleaned it 3 times now and it won't give me full x16 performance, and sometimes it's at x4, sometimes x8. Does anyone know how I can get my card to run at x16 like intended?

Here's some information about my setup (Info gathered with Everest Ultimate Addition and HWiNFO):

OS Partition 1: Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit SP2
    OS Partition 2: Windows 7 Ultimate RC(7100) 64Bit
    (Problem exists on both OS)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 5200+ X2 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor
    RAM: 3GB DDR2 333.3MHz Nanya Technology SDRAM
    Motherboard Model: Acer F690GVM
    Motherboard ID: 06/25/2007-RS690-SB600-6A669FK8C-00
    Motherboard Chipset: ATI RS690(M) + SB600
    Motherboard Slots: 1 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 PCI-X, 1 PCI-E x1
    (PCI-E x1? I have my PCI-E 2.0 x16 video card in this slot. Mustn't this slot be x16 to even fit the HD4850?)
    BIOS Name: Acer, Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS Date: 06/25/07
    PSU: Corsair HX620 620W Modular Power Supply
    Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 x16
    Monitor: Acer X203W

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Solutions I have tried:
    Disabling "PEG Force x1" - There is no "PEG Force x1" option in my BIOS to disable.
    Set the NB Vcore to 1.45V or less - There is no option to edit the NB Vcore in my BIOS, NB Vcore isn't even mentioned anywhere in my BIOS.
    Tweak the PCI-E Reference Clock lower or higher - There is no PCI-E Reference Clock option in my BIOS to edit.
    Clean the PCI-E Slot - I have done this 3 times now. I've blown into and onto the slot and card, wiped with non-lint cloth, and even used a fan close up on the slot, card, and surrounding areas.
    Revert to Default Settings in BIOS - Didn't fix the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem as it is frustrating me and I can't seem to solve it by myself.

Do I need to clean the PCI-E Slot better? Do I need to change a setting somewhere? Is my slot somehow set to run at maximum x8? Do I need to buy a new video card or motherboard? I'd like to exhaust all other options before buying new hardware, however.

2. Hypernon

Hypernon Geek Trainee

I think the answer is that x8 is the maximum the slot can run at because the motherboard is permanently set to run it at 8x. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to buy a new motherboard if I don't have to.

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, I can't seem to find your board anywhere. But you must have a PCI-Expressx16 slot to get your card to work, but the thing is your slot will be PCI-Express X16 1.0. So in other words it will run at x8 mode (2gb/s) bus speed instead of 2.0 (4gb/s) bus speed. So really your motherboard is limiting your card.

4. Hypernon

Hypernon Geek Trainee

Ok, thankyou for the input. People on other forums seem to think this as well. When I buy a new motherboard I'll be sure it has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.