HD error: can't find the problem

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by eurosong, Nov 11, 2007.

1. eurosong

eurosong Geek Trainee

*Sigh*

I have another weird error which I can't diagnose.
    My computer bluescreens and reboots from time to time. When I check the System log in the Event Viewer, I see the following error:

"The device, \Device\Harddisk2\D, has a bad block."

From searching various forums, I gather that the "D" does not refer to a drive letter (indeed, my "D" drive is my DVD drive!) - and "Harddisk2" should be the one as labelled in Disk Management (Disk 0, Disk1, Disk 2, etc).

Is this correct? Anyway...

My Disk 2 is a 300GB SATA, which is partitioned into C: (System), T: (Temp), P: (Programs) and M: (My Documents) - with unpartitioned space left over. So I figure it is one of my partitions which has a problem. I ran chkdsk on each of these partitions (having to reboot and schedule the check for startup on the system partition) - and guess what? No errors have been found.

I am therefore at a complete loss. What is the problem? Surely if there's a disk error, then chkdsk should find it, no? If not - how do I find the error and deal with it?

Thanks...

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i think your SATA drive should be either HD2 or HD4, assuming your SATA HDD is on your first SATA port & you only have 1 IDE channel (capable of taking 2 IDE devices)

how many IDE devices can you have ? (2 or 4)
    how much RAM do you have ?
    and is your OS XP SP2 ?

3. smitha

smitha Geek Trainee

You have need to format your computer and install new windows.....

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

You could use S.M.A.R.T to check your HDD which may be more thorough......or maybe not :)

I'm a little unsure of exactly what this means. It could be referring to a collection of bad clusters or it may be that your HDD is sending bad "blocks" of data so the usual cabling checks and PSU chks may be necessary if you've not already done them.