HDD dieing, can i save vista?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by eddieace, Mar 17, 2009.

1. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i think my hard disk is dieing on me, it's started to make noises and it's quickly getting more frequent and worse.

i'm happy with my system as it is i dont want to reload it, i want to keep it as is with everything just how i like it.

is there anyway to make some sort of recovery disk program that will reload everything back on to a new hard disk?

i've saved my vital info onto my 2nd drive and i'm gonna back that up just in case it is the 2nd one going put i'm 99% it's my master drive as when booting the noises sound at it's peak then (cold)

when warmed up it doesn't really make any noticeable noises. i'll try to explain the sounds, its sounds as if it's cd rom spinning up at first only a split second tho and then it makes a louder write sound sorts of.

if that makes sense, it's never made this sound before, and it isn't really that old

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

are you sure the HDD is dying ?

you could enable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring in the BIOS and download a freeware SMART monitoring program like HDDlife but personally i always use Active @ Hard Disk Monitor and see what they say

BTW: smart monitoring programs are very reliable when used in conjunction with smart

and always keep a recent backup as HDD seem to die when you least expect it or when you know you don't want it to die

or you could purchase Acronis True Image or similar software

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea dude i had that one time making noises started getting louder then clunking then boom failure. you could try Norton Ghost clones your hard drive.

4. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i thought about norton ghost but was told it wouldn't work with vista! Was hoping there was something out there that worked the same as ghost but with vista

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek