HDD - PS - MOBO COMAPATIBILITY

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by rahulkhajuria, May 10, 2011.

1. rahulkhajuria

rahulkhajuria Geek Trainee

I have 2 P.C.s as follows

P.C.1 : 865G/GVM3-V (MS -7101 V2.0) M-ATX MicroStar Motherboard
    Pentium 4 Dual Core Processor
    80 GB WD Hard Disk 1.5 Gb/s
    512 MB DDR1 RAM
    250 Watt Power Supply
    Bought in 2006

P.C.2 : M2N68-AM SE2 ASUS Motherboard
    ATHALON Processor
    250 GB Seagate BARRACUDA 7200.10 Hard Disk 3 Gb/s
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    400 Watt Power Supply
    Bought in 2009

The Hard Disk on P.C.1 has the following thing written on it - 5v ... .48A
    12v ... .50A

The Hard Disk on P.C.2 has the following thing written on it - 5v ... .72A
    12v ... .52A

Now , I want to install the Hard Disk on P.C. 1 into the Hard Disk on P.C. 2 & Vice Versa .
    However , I am concerned that when I try this out what if there is some spark or short-circuit due to some sort of power-mismatch because of which I end up killing one of the motherboards or P.C.s . Can I safely just swap the 2 Hard Disks ? Is there any more information I need to give regarding these P.Cs ?

What are the precautions in general that one needs to bear in mind before adding new devices onto a P.C. Or in other words , how does one check whether a certain device will be compatible with a certain system or not ?

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

No, there should be no problem swapping drives. Make sure you switch the power off on the power supply for both computers when swapping. You wouldn't want to get fried (the most unlikely of scenarios haha). Also, do not stand on a carpet while working on your computer. Could cause Electro Static Discharge.
    Once these precuations are met, you can safely swap drives.

Another thing you should take note of. Say you install drive 1 from pc 1 into pc 2. Now, when booting up pc 2, you need to specify in the BIOS which drive you want to boot up first, since you know have 2 drives in pc 2. If you want to boot the drive from pc 1 (the drive you just installed), then you'll have a few issues when booting up because your operating system will detect new hardware. Issues as in it will need drivers for the newly found hardware and this might cause conflicts with the previous drivers installed. If you plan on installing the hard drive from pc 1 to pc 2 and plan on booting up the drive that was in there to begin with, then there should be no problem when booting up to your o/s. Your o/s will detect the new drive, set a drive letter for it, and let you browse though it.