Heat issues

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by wompshmack, Feb 21, 2008.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

I'm having some serious overheat issues with my Athlon FX-62. I think I've solved the problem but I can't get anything to accurately give me the cpu temperature in windows, so I have to shut down and go to my bios to check it after running it at heavy load for a while. As you can imagine this is much less convenient than getting on the fly readings. I've tried a few programs to check my cpu temp but they all give me 0c, so they clearly arent working with my setup. Any ideas?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

3. rockaway

rockaway Guest

Keep in mind that the onboard measurement facilities are often inaccurate and may report temperatures that are too low. This is especially the case with motherboards that use a thermal sensor below the CPU to "guess" the CPU temperature. The temperature values displayed by the BIOS have usually a correction value added, to compensate for this problem - but in some cases this correction value may be too low, or the sensor might not be in good contact with the CPU.

This means: If the maximum allowed temperature for your CPU is 95°C, and your motherboard reports a CPU temperature of 90°C, then you are not on the safe side..
    To read in detail click here.