Heat sink VS Heat Spreader VS Conductors

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by scorps65, Apr 12, 2009.

1. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Hey guys, i have a few questions that have been bothering me for a while.

How does a heat spreader, like the ones on RAM and hard drives, work? Are they like heat sinks?
    Also, from what i've read in the past, copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum. But according to my genius med school sister, aluminum is a better conductor. Which one is better?
    And lastly, does a better heat conductor draw more heat out of a CPU? Is that why they call it a "heat sink"?

Thanks guys

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yes, it's a heatsink. You're extending the conductive surface area in order to cool a device more efficiently.

I'm guessing she doesn't study much thermodynamics in med school. :) Both copper and aluminum are good conductors, but copper is roughly twice as effective as a thermal conductor than aluminum. It's also heavier and more expensive as a material, which is why aluminum is often used as an alternative.

Better thermal conductors conduct more heat. This is an oversimplification, but as a nice, dense sponge can hold more liquid, a good thermal conductor can conduct more heat before becoming saturated.

Thermal conductivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Very well put, thanks! That clears up a lot...
    I read the wikipedia link about thermal conductivity and i found it interesting that even a diamond can conduct heat and very effectively at that.

Could you imagine a diamond made heat sink? Thing would cost you a fortune!

4. zeus

zeus out of date

gold is one of the best.... Copper is better though. Platinum is quite good too.