hello! am new and got a few probs

Discussion in 'General Software' started by eddieace, Dec 28, 2004.

1. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

hi all

not looked into many threads yet! as it will take some time! but it's on my list of to do's only problem is a lot of it will be way over my head! but hey thats why i joined so i should be able to learn a bit!

problem number 1

everytime i close the internet explorer i get this

[​IMG]

any ideas?

and pop-ups could really do with getting shut of these bleedin things, so far i have got the google pop-up blocker but doesn't seem to be doing much, and i run spybot every other week. but i'm still getting the little runts!

also i'm interested in overclocking my chip but i havent got a clue where to start, so if anyone can give us some computers for idiots instructons?

AND MERRY CRIMBO
    :good:

2. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i'll give a quick tech spec

P4 2ghz
    1024 ddr
    120 gb HD + 20 gb HD
    geforce fx5600xt 256mgb (not quite sure thats the right number)
    750 broadband thru ethernet with my bro's computer

i am looking to upgrade soon, and thinking of going to the AMD 64

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you tried doing a windows update? I think maybe some files are corupt?

I would suggest using Firefox a much better browser than IE, the link is in my sig!

EDIT: please don't create links to this thread.

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

For a pop up blocker i wud suggest ad-killer Its very effective as evry time you get a pop up you simply add it to the list and voila it will never come up again.

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

FireFox has a built in popup blocker, and i have to say that it is brilliant at blocking them.

6. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

ok downloaded firefox we'll see! hmm screwed me all up now as well hehe will take a day or two to adjust to it :D

7. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

you could always download google toolbar for free from www.google.com as this block popus really well m8. hope this helps Dave :good:

8. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

ok so thats sorted out the runtime error and hopefully the pop-ups

anyone know how to overclock my CPU?

would like a bit more speed out of my PC and then i'll not be tempted to spend again on it, i hate having to reload windows and re-organising it all again.

i've got not experience with messing with bios or the jumpers or nowt so i would need step by step instructions with explanations of what i'm doing each step! many thanks to all anyway

9. Addis

Addis The King

To overclock your CPU, reboot and press F1 or Delete before your computer boots up the OS. Then you should be at your BIOS screen. From here you have to go to something like advanced chipset features and increase your FSB a tad. When you do this your RAM speed will also increase but be careful that your don't push it too far. if you do and your PC won't boot up you'll have to reset your CMOS. Look here for instructions. http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=3682
    Also be careful that you don't allow your CPU to overheat. If you want to seriously overclock then you're going to need to get a new cooler.

10. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

what speed cpu are you trying to overclock and what is the clock speed. and take into account that everything else is usually overclocked when you over clock as well this includes (cpu,graphics card and ram) make sure they are all able to overclock before you do this and make sure there all cooled correctly. and finally overclocking invalidates your warranty and any part m8 gd look over clockin. Dave :good:

11. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

aint got a clue what the clock speed is where do i find out?

12. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

ok had a browse in the bios

this is what i found

cpu fsb 100
    cpu vcore adjust no
    cpu vcore 1.5v
    DDR power voltage 2.5v
    AGP power voltage 1.5v

i have changed the cpu FSB to 110 now my comp is running how can i find out what my CPU temperature is?

my ram! is 2 x 512mb 333mhz
    my graphics is a geforce 5600 256mb (heat sink and fan)

what should i be looking out for! i think if i had done increased the cpu up by too much it wouldn't have booted right? so am i right in thinkin that i need to check my CPU temp!

13. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i've used sandra to check my cpu temp and it's at 45c - 46c is this ok?

my cpu is running 2.21mhz

is there anything else i should check?

14. Addis

Addis The King

Is that temperature idle or load? For idle it seems a bit too high.

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's not too bad, but if you start getting much hotter at idle speeds, I'd look into a better cooler for the CPU. If you've got a Northwood core, you should be able to get a nice OC out of it, however, if you've got a Wilamette core, I doubt you'll get much further than what you currently have. Additionally, it may not be stable. [google]Prime 95[/google] is a solid choice to check.

If you're looking to check the temp in BIOS, look for something like PC Health in the main menu. That may also display the voltages for the CPU, memory, and AGP...Not guaranteed, as not all boards will display them.

16. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i'm presuming that is idle!

how do i find out the load temp?

i've read up and have found that the P4 has a step down feature or summat that slows the processor down when it starts to get hot!

17. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i dunno if this is a load temp or not! but on counter strike source my temp is between 55 and 56c

is this ok?

18. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

yeah that would be under load.

Anything using a decent % of your CPU can be defined as underload.

Before I got a new PSU with a larger fan my chip was @ 65 degrees underload, so you are ok.

19. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

ok i dont know what information is critical! but the CPU doesn't get too hot! ok
    i dunno what that prime 95 is!

cpu voltage is 1.49v

computer doesn't crash so i'm presuming it'll be alright.

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Prime95 is a CPU stress tool/distributed computing program. It's free, and is used to pummel the CPU to make sure it still stable. If it runs for 24 hours without an error, your CPU is considered stable.